Sunday, February 5, 2012

Red and White Valentine Table

A few weeks ago I brought Duchess home...  The beautiful Paden City Pottery vintage china I'd had at my mom's for way too long, and I did a post with "her"  (HERE), but my still wanted to do another one~~
a RED and WHITE one.

Do you start a tablescape knowing exactly what it's going to be?
I don't...I have a general idea,
then inspiration from things around me, other posts, magazines
AND
THE BOUNTY IN MY COLLECTIONS
just guide me along.

The original idea for this post was the color scheme, and it was going to be 
a casual 'scape--red and white, using my red Crate and Barrel placemats and white dishes...

But SERENDIPITY stepped in...
and took me to the large, deep drawers full of vintage linens.
The topper that spoke to me was this:
Exquisite, yes?
Do you know what this stitching is called?  The outline of the design is embroidered on the right side
of the fabric, and the "filler" is embroidered on the back of the fabric,
so only the color, not the stitching, is visible.
It's simply a work of art.

My mother used this same technique on a pillow and bassinet sheet she made for my first baby
 "quite a few" :) years ago.  In Spanish she calls it "shadow" stitch,
which seems quite appropriate.

The topper reminds me of vintage hankies--squares pieced together
with lace insets.
And the lace is BEAUTIFUL too.

While we're still on the subject of the topper, here's a close-up of the center work.
I had to use a pedestal centerpiece, don't you agree? to not cover such
beautiful work.
And as much as I love this piece, I don't remember the occasion when I bought it.
I wish I did, but I seldom pass up beautiful vintage linens.


Oh...forgive me...I got carried away with the cloth, embroidery, vintage, lace, etc.....  
This post is about THE TABLESCAPE, so here it is:


By candlelight
I used a crystal cake plate that my MIL gave me years ago so the embroidery wouldn't be covered,
and miniature roses to continue the delicate scene.
Splashes of red in the heart-shaped crystal vase and hearts,
plus hydrangeas, bridal tulle, and sterling candle sticks.

The "heart" napkin idea was another inspiration.  I've searched everywhere for heart-shaped dishes,
but have only found plastic ones, so to substitute, I placed a   -shaped napkin* under my  vintage
Heritage plates, and I was satisfied--for this year, that is.
I will continue my search for small, red heart-shaped bowls.

I used the red Crate and Barrel placemats as planned, for contrast with the table.

* I found several tutorials online for the heart-shaped napkin, but I still had to tweak it enough that I don't think
I can point you to any of them.  At some point I'll do a tutorial on what I found to have worked best.
(You might notice that mine's a little "poofy," which is what I wanted.)











We bought this Amish high chair when Sweet Baby Love was born.
Now it's used by Beautiful Boy, so we keep it in the dining room.





So, tell me what you think.  Do you like the lace and tulle and crystal and silver?

Here's the rundown of the components:
Stems:  Water - Sutton Place, Godinger; Sherbet - vintage, gift from my mother
Flatware:  Oneida, King George
Dishes:  Crystal - Heritage by Federal, gift from my mother; Dinner - American Pelier, Bianca Leaf; Charger - Unnamed, manufacturer: Cerages.  Dinner & charger from Home Goods, just recently.
Red Crystal vase:  TJ Maxx a few weeks ago

Thanks for stopping by.  Please leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them!  They encourage me and inspire me.  And if you like what you see a lot J, maybe you’d like to +1 this post too!  Thank you!

I will be joining these fun parties; please stop by to see all the great things there!
 Show Off Your Cottage Monday at http://houseinroses.blogspot.com
Newbie Party on Monday at http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/
Before and After Monday (1st Monday of the mo.) at http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/ 
Centerpiece Wednesdays at http://www.thestylesisters.blogspot.com/
Wednesday Winter Blues Party at http://diybydesign.blogspot.com/
Voila! French Inspiration on Thursdays at http://frenchcupboard.blogspot.com/
Gina at http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/ for the Valentine Party
Open House Party Thursday http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com
Transformation Thursdays at http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/
Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com
Thrifty Things Friday at http://thethriftygroove.blogspot.com/
Show and Tell Friday at http://romantichome.blogspot.com/
Home Sweet Home Friday at http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/
Feature Yourself Friday at http://www.fingerprintsonthefridge.com/
Weekend Wrap-up Party at http://tatertotsandjello.com/
Sunday Showcase Party at http://www.bystephanielynn.com/



Wishing you love on Valentine's Day and always,
from my Chickadee Nest to yours~
    Zuni


44 comments:

  1. Yes, I do like the lace and tulle and crystal and silver. Beautiful table. The hand work on the textile is gorgeous. Keep looking for the heart shaped plates. I don't have red ones, but through the years I've been fortunate to find some lovely sets of heart shaped plates. My favorites are a set of checked ones and another set that are pink and brown. ;-)
    Thanks for sharing your pretty Valentine's table. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah. Thanks for stopping by and your sweet comments. I'd love to see your heart-shaped plates...please let me know if/when you do a tablescape where you use them.

      Delete
  2. This is just lovely Zuni. Love, love, love the heart napkin idea (I am so borrowing that one) and the cloche on the cake stand. I need to get a move on a Valentines Day table, thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Shanee. The heart napkins were quite the inspiration for me too. I'm sorry I don't have a tutorial for it--like I said, there are several online, so work with those, but knowing that you'll have to "fuss" with them a bit. Let me know when you get your Valentine table done!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow Zuni...what a beautiful table. Everything about it is so romantic and I'm sure will certainly set cupids arrows flying. With this much careful planning the atmosphere will certainly be set for some serious loving.
    If I did a table like this my hubby would think I was guilty of something! We have been married for 33 years and have always done a little something for Valentine's Day but nothing to this scale. Normally we have a meal out.
    I adore the miniature rose centre piece and will definitely pinch that idea, if you don't mind ;)
    It takes me all my time to sew a button on, so to see that fine exquisite topper just blew me away.
    Have a wonderful Valentine's Day ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Neesie! I'm glad you liked this table. I love how it "developed" as I worked on it. This is a "pretend" table--sadly, it's already dismantled and everything is put away :(, so it won't be our Valentine table either. We're trying to coordinate a Valentine dinner with friends, but often others don't like all the "fuss," so I probably wouldn't do this much even for that. It's another thing I like about blogging--I get to "play house" and use all the pretties I continue to add to my stash of things I love and can't leave at the shops I visit. Pinch away...we all get ideas from each other, and I'm flattered that you would want to. I fell in love with that miniature plant when I saw it--at the grocery store!!! I enjoy embroidery more than sewing, but don't get to do it much. Thanks for the good wishes; same to you and your hubby.

      Delete
  4. oh my goodness! I am in love with your heart shaped napkin! What a good idea! Your tablescape is beautiful! I too love tulle and lace. Thanks for sharing this! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy. I ended up liking the heart napkin quite a bit too--it helped set the tone for me. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Zuni, I can see why you would be carried away by the topper...it's stunning! I love the cloche centerpiece and you made the red and white color scheme look so elegant. Beautiful tablescape!

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that there are some souls in this world who understand my linen/embroidery craziness! Thank you for your sweet comments...my intention was an elegant table, so thank you!

      Delete
  6. Pretty table. Love the silver candlesicks. Always looking for some nice old ones. Thanks in advance for joining the party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes, I love it when Serendipity stops by! It happens to me all the time. What a fabulous shadow work topper. It's always a treat to see people showcase their family linens!

    * I hope you and your readers will join Bloggers for Hope and send some Valentine love to "the least of these." Check it out here: http://myplacetoyours.blogspot.com/2012/02/valentines-of-hope.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susan. Thank you for stopping by along with Serendipity...I will surely send Valentine love to these girls.

      Delete
  8. Hey, Zuni! You did a really fabulous job on that heart-shaped napkin! I never thought of trying to shape a napkin quite like that, but you did a bang up job of it! I didn't see many heart-shaped dishes out this year at all. The stores just aren't stocking as much cool stuff as they used to. Beautiful runner!!! I love the "invisible" stitching!!! Very wise to raise your centerpiece so that all that gorgeous pattern can shine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Zuni:

    Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays and great table.

    Serendipity is the perfect word. Sometimes a tablescape just takes you to another place. you gotta go with it.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beaautiful and elegant setting filled with lovely treasures. I think it makes great sense to make your own "holiday" china.....and you've created a wonderful set!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a pretty and elegant tablescape! I love the scattering of the red hearts. The table topper is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely beautiful table. I was so struck by the centerpiece of mini roses and the netting, glass etc. Then I love your shaping the napkins like hearts, very pretty and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful!! You have so many wonderful items, that I'd be writing a blog entry just to comment on them. However, of course, the one thing that caught my eye is your table linen. I believe the technique used on your toper is called Shadow embroidery.
    Your tablescape is gorgeous!!
    Patricia :o)

    Ps: I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Patricia! Thanks for following, and thanks for letting me know the stitch. Things that are old that I learned from my mother and grandmother I sometimes only know in Spanish, but I figured it was probably "shadow," as my mother had told me. You're right, I could do a post(s) just on linens; maybe I will!

      Delete
  14. So lovely. Loving the napkins shaped into hearts. And that cloche is gorgeous! Would be delighted for you to link this up to Mop It Up Mondays (going on through Friday): http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/02/mop-it-up-mondays-party-2.html
    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous shadow work embroidery on the tablecloth! I was into that for a while when my daughter was young and did shadow work on collars for her Sunday dresses. Love the look! Yours makes a wonderful base for your pretty valentine table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tricia, I hope you saved those dresses you embroidered for your daughter! This kind of work isn't seen much anymore, and it's mastery at its best. Why don't you do a post on some of the work you did? I'm going to visit you now and will follow. Thanks so much for visiting!

      Delete
  16. The work on the napkins is exquisite. What a lovely table. Can't wait to see your blogpost about the dresses you embroidered for your daughter. Have a lovely week. ~CJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish I could claim the dresses, but it was Tricia (comment above) who did that precious work! I embroider a bit, but nothing such as this intricate shadow work. Thanks for visiting, CJ. I'm glad you liked the table.

      Delete
  17. So Beautiful! Great design style! Love it all. Your topper is to die for! Happy V Day! Joann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joann. Thank you, thank you! I have a weakness for these vintage linens with fine embroidery. I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  18. Your tablescape is beautiful! All the elements work so well together. I love that miniature rose bush under the cloche.

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a beautiful tablescape. The vintage linens are stunning and I like how you used vintage and modern dishes to bring it all together. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a beautiful tablescape! But, I have to say, you have me drooling over that table topper! Oh, how gorgeous!! Thank you for joining TTF and have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful tablescape. Love the little red hearts and the vintage table linens.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, those linens are such a treasure! I really like the use of a red napkin in the shape of a heart. Very creative! Thanks for sharing your pretty table!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Zuni....this tablescape is just BEAUTIFUL!! It takes my breath away & my eyes are dancing all over, to take it all in. That gorgeous tabletopper makes my ♥ go pitter-patter! So special! I've only done shadow work a few times, but I love the effect.

    We DO have the same white plates!! ~~big smile~~

    I hope you have a LOVEly Valentines Day~
    Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely table! That cloth is to die for! I love vintage linens, too! It gets harder and harder to find beautiful pieces like this. It's wonderful how well the lace border compliments the embroidery. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi,I'm in the U.K. and hopped on over from The house in the roses,Your table is stunning and inspiring and is giving me ideas on table settings for my own little family on Valentines day.THANKYOU. best wishes,juliex

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, how romantic. The lacework, tulle and pearls remind me of an elegant wedding gown! Found your post at Ivy and Elephants party and am now following you. Happy Hearts Day. Debra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thanks for visiting! I didn't set out to do a wedding gown, but you're right, that's what I ended up with :). I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  27. This is a stunning table. That table cover is gorgeous.I'm so glad you showed closeups of all the beautiful work on it. Love the way you put the tulle around the pot of roses and the way you folded the napkin into a heart. Thank you for linking this beautiful post to my V'tine party. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is beautiful, love your glass cloche and the heart napkins. Have a wonderful V-day today!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  30. Red and white color combinations are look so beautiful and wonderful on the tables.Thanx to share with us.Red color heart look so creative and attractive.

    grand rapids lasik

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a pretty table-I'm your newest linky follower-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for visiting and following, Claire! I'll be right over!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oooops! Sorry for me as I missed this Valentine table set up you made here. I am definitely in love with your crystal stuff. I also love your vintage table cloth. Its really perfect and the designs are awesome.

    Pintuck Tablecloths

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips