Sunday, January 20, 2013

Hot Chocolate and Chocolate Dessert Bar

Our dear friends came to visit for the weekend—the perfect opportunity to spoil them a little.  We texted them while they were en route:  “Arrive hungry…we have LOTS of goodies for dinner and dessert!”

DSCN6457 For dessert we had a HOT CHOCOLATE BAR set up.

DSCN6458 I used our sons’ baby cups for the mini marshmallows and tiny chocolate chips.

DSCN6466 Vintage napkins I turn to often, because they are so sweet.  They were a gift from my dear MIL from their years when they lived in Mexico, where my FIL was sent by General Tire. 

DSCN6470 My iSi cream whipper was at the ready, of course, (you can read about this wonderful kitchen tool HERE), and the vintage silver cocktail shaker my mother gave me was perfect for the hot chocolate…LOVE this piece.

DSCN6479  DSCN6459  Gifts from my SIL, I use these spoons often too, because I think they’re so pretty.

DSCN6461 These sweet little sugar tongs now repurposed to serve the mini marshmallows.

DSCN6490And yes, we also had fruit on hand, in case we wanted to add something healthy to our dessert. :)

DSCN6491 A not-so-mini chocolate-chocolate Bundt cake, garnished with peanut butter fudge curls and bite-size pieces for walking by and grabbing one or two, plus dark-chocolate on butter cookies, and of course, kisses.

DSCN6498 My husband’s favorite aunt used to make peanut butter fudge for us, but now that she’s gone he’s happy to have found an excellent substitute at Krema.  Krema is local, but they ship everywhere.  You won’t go wrong with them, I promise.

DSCN6496 And other walk-by treats.

2013.1 Hot Chocolate Collage

But this was the BEST part…our family gathered together to spend time with our friends.

DSCN6549-001

Our friends are so sweet.  They love everything we do to make their visit special, and they enjoy EVERY.SINGLE.DETAIL.  That makes it so much fun! 

What do you do when you have guests?  I’d love to hear your idea of pampering guests for our future visitors. 

I’ll be posting the recipe for my Espresso Hot Chocolate soon. ~~

Cake stand – Crate and Barrel, several years ago, a gift from my cousin

Mugs – House Beautiful, Marshall Field’s, years ago

Spoons – 1847 Rogers Bros., Columbia

Sugar tongs – Vintage Forbes Silver Co.

Cake plate – gift from my MIL many years ago; Dome – Bombay Company

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you’ll leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them! And if you like what you see a lot, maybe you’d like to Google+ this post or pin it on Pinterest too! Thank you!

I invite you to follow me. If you’ll let me know that you’re following, I’ll be sure to follow you back.

Mop it Up Monday at http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com

Tuesdays at http://www.astrollthrulife.net/

Wednesdays at Let’s Dish: http://www.cuisinekathleen.com/

Wednesdays at Wow Us: http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/

Share Your Cup Wednesday at http://jannolson.blogspot.com/

Thursdays at Tabletop Thursday: http://betweennapsontheporch.net/

Thursdays at Home Sweet Home: http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

Transformation Thursdays at http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/

Fridays at Feathered Nest: http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/

Home Sweet Home Fridays at http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com

Sundays at The Tablescaper: http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/

From my nest to yours~  Chickadee Home Nest

23 comments:

  1. MM,all this looks so inviting and yummy. Wish I was one of your guests.:)
    We are having friends on Saturday and we are planning a nice lunch of rolled seasoned pork,(my friends favourite meat. My dear daughter has made us a triple white chocolate cheesecake for dessert,it is absolutely beautiful. x jeanette
    I also follow you

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all looks so good, Zuni! I love all your silver pieces. They have some of the nicest detail I've seen. With the cold temps we've been having, I'll bet the hot coco was appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'm on my way. :-) I'll be copying your pine cones under the cake stand. So easy ... and so stunning! I know your friends felt pampered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good! I am sure they enjoyed it!
    Don't forget the WINTER SNOW ICE Tablescape challenge is Wed night at Let's Dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I hope they didn't eat everything. I am on my way and pedaling fast.
    Everything is so beautiful and charming. I love the cocktail shaker so much and I am gaga over the spoons.
    Thank you so much for sharing,
    xo Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brilliant idea! I'm going to do this in the future, what a great way to showcase favorite cups, spoons, and other beloved pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I gained 5 pounds just reading this post! That cake plate looks incredible and I am loving the pine cones underneath. So clever. Looks like good food and fun was had by all. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!! Your cocoa bar is so inviting! I sense the love with which it all was prepared.
    I love the name of your blog, too. Chickadees are my favorite bird. I have such good memories of them flitting close by me, chatting continuously, while in created a shady garden in my woods.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what a nice treat. I have set a Pinterest board for hot chocolate bars. I think they are so cool. I think the tangelos are a nice addition. Thanks for stopping by. I will follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cake is to die for - my mouth is watering!! Great idea to set it up this way - and what is hot cocoa without mini marshmallows!???

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my that cake is over the top! I think I'm on my way to the kitchen for a mug of hot chocolate. Beautiful silver! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I would love to be a guest at your hot chocolate party! You've thought of everything and it looks so warm and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely way to greet your guest, Zuni! Beautifully arranged & well thought out. I loved the sweet little sugar tongs for the mini marshmallows.
    I've got a coffee/tea/hot chocolate/hot cider bar set up all the time in the kitchen. Have you tried the PEPPERMINT marshmallows yet? Yummy!

    I see you kept one little chickadee plate. I had mine out just last week but forgot to take any pictures,

    Stay warm,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy! Your display and treats look so inviting! I'm sure your guests enjoyed your extra efforts to make them feel special and welcome.

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love when the family gets together. YOur cake and cocoa/coffee looks soooooooooooooo good. Fabulous. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so beautiful! I know your friends must have felt very loved and pampered with such a lovely spread! Thanks for sharing this! Some great ideas in there!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I showed this to Ramon this morning before he left, and he said he's running away to your house!!! :-) Goodness gracious, Zuni! You really spoil your guests! I know they love you with every fiber of their being!!! Not only did you regale them with fabulously rich and decadent food, but you presented it as if they were kings and queens! Even little tongs for the marshmallows!!! How lucky for them!!!!!!!! When I come to visit, I expect a kingly feast laid out before my eyes, OK? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Zuni,
    You are one great hostess. Every treasure are well prepared. That's amazing.

    It looks like everyone are enjoying a great treat.

    Greetings from a frozen city of Stockholm,
    /CC girl

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh yummy, Zuni! I am about to go make a big mug of hot chocolate. Your silver pattern is gorgeous.
    You have a beautiful family...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Zuni, I am so glad that you linked up with Share Your Cup. That is one text I would never mind getting, Arrive hungry! You certainly spoiled your guests. I think they were in cholcolate heaven.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok Zuni...I'll be right over..and if I'm a little late, please save one of each for me, I'd love to sit next to you and talk my head away, my friend!! Everything is lovely and your hot choc. station is fabulous and I'm very inspired to do just this with friends too. Your silver flatware pattern is stunning, I'm "zooning"!! Nice photo of you all. Have a great weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  22. Zuni - I absolutely cannot drink hot chocolate without marshmallows and I am going to unrepentantly steal your idea about the sugar tong server for them!! That cake looks so good - for a girl who loves chocolate, this is the perfect post! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The minute I see the word chocolate I'm paying attention. I would love to be there to taste all your treats as well as enjoy the lovely presentation. I'd say your friends were lucky to be so spoiled.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips