Sunday, September 29, 2013

Garage Sale and Auction Bargains

I love, love, love a bargain, and I know most of you do too—I’ve seen your evidence!

My brother and SIL started going to auctions a few years ago and they kept inviting me. I finally went because I was really intrigued by the bargains they’d found on beautiful things, but I was really a little scared too. You know how you hear of people scratching their noses and BOOM! they just bought themselves a buffalo head or something??!! So they coached me a little bit, and the first few times around my SIL did the bidding for me, but from there on out I was ON.MY.OWN…and HAVING A BLAST.

One good thing I did was set a budget for myself—I took the exact cash—because there was nothing big that I needed, and only so much smaller stuff I should haul home. Some of you might remember my Taming the Monster in the Basement post I did when I finally got our basement organized. Today I thought I’d share some of the finds—so you can see why I need to keep making room for STUFF!!

DSCN3117These pictures were taken on our garage floor, as I unloaded my car to take my stash to…the basement :), of course!  Some of these things you’ve seen in use, but didn’t know their story, like the amber and teal vintage Tiara Glass pieces (if you look closely you can see that the tiered piece still had the original label on it) and I used it for my summer birthdays party; the super-nice, super-heavy Pottery Barn lantern that I use all the time;and tons of patriotic decorations (you can see them at 4th of July Table and More).

DSCN3120 Even though this picture is blurry (apologies :( ) I included it, because the beautiful figurines I used for my Little Boy Blue Spring Table came from this auction too! The collection of red, white, and blue lighthouses comes out every 4th of July—they’re sweet and something I probably wouldn’t have paid retail for, but I like having them.

DSCN3119Do you recognize the half-visible patriotic slate heart at the upper edge?

DSCN9107                                   It made its debut in my July 4th decor post, 2011.

DSCN3193I was so excited to find this darling little dish in a box lot at the auction. It has a bit of a carnival-glass quality to it that I like, although I’m not a fan of regular carnival glass. I thought it was old/vintage, but since then I’ve seen them in several places, so now I’m wondering. Does anyone know about this dish? I still like it, especially for fall. When I needed a lid to transport my corn soufflé (Rave Reviews Corn Soufflé) it served the purpose quite prettily—vintage or not.

DSCN3125I collect silver Revere bowls, and there was one of those in the stash, as well as a nice mixing bowl with a spout that goes to a set of Three Rivers pottery I already have and really like because it has three pine trees with snow falling, so it’s a great pattern for after the holidays and into the rest of winter. I don’t have any Dept. 56 houses, but I love their detail, and in a box lot came a brand-new house from the Dickens line! Also, a large metal spoon that for some reason I like quite a bit, a copper tea kettle, and my second Don Quixote! I already had one statute of the adventuring dreamer, but another one was just fine with me, since I’m a big fan of Don Quixote, the main character in Cervantes’ classic, The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha.

I seldom have time to get to garage sales, but I LOVE to go to garage sales! Here’s what I think was a fabulous find—I think $3 for all the items in the picture except the plates, which are an Odd Lots—now Big Lots—find (does that tell you how long I’ve had them?).  Yes, the square platter (maybe 15” square), a medium-sized bowl, and the large square divided dish, as well as the navy blue biscotti jar that has a nice seal to it, so it’s useable, not just for pretty. Can you believe the match with the long-ago plates?!

DSCN1308 Oh—and they still had the Pier 1 price tags on them. The owner told me they were a wedding gift they DID NOT like (she was emphatic), so they’d never used them. One woman’s junk…

And are you ready for the BEST find yet?

I found it in my own basement! A stash of STERLING SILVER PIECES! I had completely forgotten that my mother had given me all these sterling candle holders (the ones on the far left aren’t sterling). Can you imagine by surprise and joy at finding STERLING candle holders, and a pair of large candelabras?! That was a fun, fun find!

DSCN4368

So what’s your haunt of choice for bargains and unexpected treasures? Auctions? Garage sales? Estate sales? Your basement? Goodwill, et al? Now I also do online auctions occasionally—what else am I missing?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE: Some of the items I use in my posts are in my Etsy shop, but many are not, simply because I haven’t updated my shop. If you see something you like and wonder if it’s available for sale, email me and let’s talk!

Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you’ll leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them! And if you like what you see a lot, maybe you’d like to pin it on Pinterest and follow me there too! Thank you!

I invite you to follow me. If you’ll let me know that you’re following, I’ll be sure to follow you back.

Mop it Up Monday at http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com

Masterpiece Monday at http://boogieboardcottage.blogspot.com/

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com

Tuesday’s Treasures http://www.myuncommonsliceofsuburbia.com/

Wow Us Wednesdays at http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/

Wednesdays at Ivy and Elephants: http://ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

DIY by Design Party at http://diybydesign.blogspot.com/

Home and Garden Thursday at http://blissfulrhythm.blogspot.com/

Open House Party Thursday at http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com

Transformation Thursdays at http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/

Feathered Nest Friday at http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/

Home Sweet Home Fridays at http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com

Thrifty Things Friday at http://thethriftygroove.blogspot.com/

Vintage Inspiration Friday at http://commonground-debrasvintagedesigns.blogspot.com/

Show and Tell Friday at http://romantichome.blogspot.com/

Fresh-Cut Fridays at http://rosevignettes.blogspot.com

From my nest to yours~

Zuni

17 comments:

  1. What gorgeous bargins and treasures Zuni,
    I'm hoping to visit some of the local auctions here soon and hopefully I'll be as lucky as you ;D
    You're right everyone does love a bargin.
    I've sold furniture at an auction years ago before we left the UK but I've never bought anything...yet!
    I'm going to head back to the beginning of your post to have a closer look at your wares (hehe)
    Have a wonderful weekend :D
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always so fun to hear from you, Neesie--from all part of the world! :) You'll have to do a post when you get to an auction and share your finds. I have as much fun seeing what others find as finding them myself--I get to enjoy it all without needing the room for it! LOL ~Zuni

      Delete
  2. Great stuff, Zuni! Yes, I would be afraid in the beginning of going to auctions, too. For the same reason ~ I'd be afraid to move or blink thinking it might be taken as a bid! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah, you KNOW auctions are in my blood! :-) You've found some fabulous pieces–and hit the silver mine to boot!

    I hope you don't mind the self-promotion, but since your first two commenters are both willing (but leary) about buying at auction, your readers might find this post I did for Between Naps on the Porch to be helpful: Buying China at Auction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susan. So nice that you stopped by! That's not self-promotion! That's blogging at its best--helping each other out and serving as a resource! I'm stopping by myself as soon as I have a minute! Thanks! ~Zuni

      Delete
  4. wow, I love those blue, white and gold pieces, I can believe some one just tossed them aside!! Great finds!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zuni, I would love to spend time in your basement poking around. I bet it would be so much fun! It's so interesting to find out that you like Don Quixote. My husband offered to buy me a special statue of DonQuixote by Lladro when we were in Spain on our honeymoon. I debated back and forth but eventually ended up getting a beautiful statue of two ballerinas,which, as you know, is what Lladro is renowned for. They reminded me of the elongated figures of El Greco. But I've never forgotten that statue. I have in my Living Room a litho of Picasso's drawing of Don Quixote. I just love the novel and what DQ represents. Now that you've inspired me, I may just have to start a new collection . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Maria. What a tough choice--which Lladro??? I can see why you went with the ballerinas--that's such a classic. I think you're on the right track...Honey, for our anniversary.... :)

      Thanks for visiting; it's always good to hear from you.

      Delete
  6. Wow, Zuni...you really got some terrific bargains!!!!!!! I know there is a lot of skill and patience that goes into bidding at an auction. I did it one time and was absolutely exhausted by the end of the day! Hunting good stuff at garage sales is also something that requires a lot of forethought and planning to be successful. It's good that you set a budget for yourself. Very smart! LOVE the Pier 1 dishes!!! How could she have NOT loved those??!??!!! Like you said, though: "One woman's junk..." :-) Love it that you were able to get that great silver, tool!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alycia!!! How good to hear from you, my friend!! I hope that means you're doing better and better and able to keep track of us out here in Blogland! You are missed!!

      I thought you might like the Pier 1 find...I thought they were yes, colorful, but very pretty! Auctions are fun when I'm not talking a lot of money. If it got up there I think it'd drive me crazy. :

      Take care and come back soon! ~Zuni

      Delete
  7. First of all the Pier 1 dishes are gorgeous dear Zuni! Wow girl friend, you did go shopping and I love all you got, I can imagine all the fun we would have. I love actions, Alejandro makes them mostly for stuff he likes. Yes, I always set myself a Budget or else! Thanks sweet lady for your lovely and kind comments. When I was a Young girl back in Astoria-Queens, my FC and my Cuban girl friend's were a wonderful occasion and beautiful too, as was our 15th, party! I have the second part up now if you want to go check it out. Gracias mil por el cariño,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Fabby, we would have so much fun! Except we'd probably be bidding against each other, because we'd like the same things! My SIL and I have to agree on who's bidding on what--that's part of the fun. :) Can't wait to see part 2. Gracias igual, :) ~Zuni

      Delete
  8. Wow, you have some great finds, and pretty too.
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love all your finds. I haven't tried the auction thing yet, I do enough damage with thrift stores, estate sales, and antique malls! I started a new link party this week called We Call It Olde. It's for anything antique, vintage, or history-related. I'd love for you to join in each week. Starts on Tuesdays but runs all week. This post would be perfect, hope to see you there! Take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dawn. Thanks for the invitation to your new party. I'll be there as soon as I can add it to my party list so I can join in! ~Zuni

      Delete
  10. I've never been to an auction but just might have to give it a try if I can find some great items like you did! Love it all! Thanks for sharing at TTF.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! you really did hit the jackpot in thrift finds! Everything is amazing! I love it! I am going to feature this post over on my TTG FB page today! I hope you will drop by and like the page as well! thanks again for sharing all your amazing treasures with us last week! https://www.facebook.com/thethriftygroove

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips