Sunday, February 3, 2013

Purple Passion for Valentines

The color PURPLE traditionally has been associated with royalty, but I also associate it with PASSION, since it’s such an intense color.  When I researched the meaning of PURPLE I found something interesting:  “It is understandable that purple represents royalty if one thinks how purple is a mix of red and blue, that is a mix of female and male energies. Mixing female and male energies grants the power of creation which is an attribute of god.”  (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_the_color_purple_represent.)    Maybe subconsciously I sensed that meaning the female and male energies, because when I started to plan my Valentine table, I knew I wanted to use PURPLE.  I also found that PURPLE “connotes luxury, wealth, and sophistication,”—well, there you have it!  HAVE to use PURPLE(Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/spot/colors1.html#ixzz2Jrt4gOjP)

RED is “the most emotionally intense color…it stimulates a faster heartbeat and breathing.  It is also the color of love," so that’s why RED is the traditional color of Valentines.(http://www.infoplease.com/spot/colors1.html#ixzz2JrtHzzCw/)

PURPLE, shimmery placemats and RED chargers are the foundation for today’s tablescape, which is set for TWO, of course.

DSCN6649 Can you feel the passion?  The intense reds, with a touch of shimmery purple, and touches of gold and silver?

DSCN6655The red tassel napkin rings, because of their shimmer, are able to keep up with the shimmer around them.

DSCN6665

DSCN6664   If you’ve visited me in the past you know of my PASSION for vintage, hand-embroidered linens.  The napkins are one of several romantic linen touches at this table…  If you love linens too, there’s more coming!

DSCN6669 Ahhh, yet another passion—crystal—that adds another element of shimmer and excitement.

DSCN6677 And candlelight…  Did you notice that the table is also set for after-dinner coffee, and perhaps CHOCOLATE too?

DSCN6752 Roses and china and crystal and chocolate, OH MY!

DSCN6706 More vintage napkins.  These came home with me last summer, when I simply could not walk away from them.  And now I see that they are perfect for our romantic Valentine’s Dinner.  The napkin rings are a gift from our youngest son, from years ago.  That bright boy knew to go to Bombay to buy gifts for his Mama.  :)

DSCN6696 Vintage sugar bowls and creamers…yet another passion.  And my Table Art leaf spoon, purchased at a lovely little shop, The Morgan House, near our home, years ago.

DSCN6769 I needed some height at the table, so I improvised and repurposed my pink Heisey footed server as a pedestal for the coffee service.

DSCN6747 This is truly a vintage piece…a square topper that is beginning to show its age, but is soooo loved.  The stitching is exquisite, as is the fabric.  It’s worthy of a table set for royalty, or romantic Valentines.

DSCN6688 Nightfall allows for candlelight...the best time to enjoy a Valentine dinner.

DSCN6729

DSCN6724

DSCN6755 More vintage linens—a runner that is pressed into service over and over again—and a vintage silver footed dish adds interest and texture and shimmer to the table.

DSCN6758 Hmmmm….I think maybe I’d rather have a scrumptious breakfast with my sweetie at this table!  We can quickly improvise—milk in the water goblets, juice in the wine glasses, move the coffee cups right here next to our plates, and maybe bring on the champagne flutes for mimosas!

DSCN6777 The gold flatware that my sweet grandmother gave me years ago, to go with the six sets of Lenox Holiday dessert plates and teacups she gave me.  She was such a sweetheart.  Using this flatware, over and over again as I have over the years, always makes me happy.

DSCN6801 Wishing you a happy Valentine’s Day with the one you love.  May you have all the things this table represents, in the way that you most like.

How will you be celebrating Valentine’s Day?  With roses and chocolates and candlelight and crystal and silver?  Or in a different kind of special?  Although I would have loved to have actually eaten at this table, we weren’t able to.  My sweetie has made reservations at a lovely restaurant and shop, The Pine Tree Barn.  It’s a bit of a drive, but one that we love.  We’ll spend a happy day at the shop then I’m sure it’ll be a romantic dinner for two.  That’s the way we like it—dinner for two.

Other details about Purple Passion post:

Goblets: Lismore Tall (water) and Alana (wine)

Candleholders: Waterford

Sugar and creamer: – Pattern and maker unknown.  Haven’t had time to research it, so if you know, please let me know! :)

Under plate used as charger, cups and saucers and coffee server: Lenox Eternal

Dinner plates:  Limoges (according to Replacements.com, the pattern is GueGue 596)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you’ll leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them! And if you like what you see a lot, maybe you’d like to +1 this post or pin it on Pinterest too! Thank you!

I invite you to follow my blog and follow me on Pinterest. If you’ll let me know that you’re following, I’ll be sure to follow you back.

Sundays at The Tablescaper: http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/

Mop it Up Monday at http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com

Metamorphosis Monday at http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/

Tuesdays at http://www.astrollthrulife.net/

Wednesdays at Let’s Dish: http://www.cuisinekathleen.com/

Wednesdays at Wow Us: http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/

Thursdays at Tabletop Thursday: http://betweennapsontheporch.net/

Thursdays at Home Sweet Home: http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

Transformation Thursdays at http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/

Fridays at Feathered Nest: http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/

Thursdays at No Minimalist Here: http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com/

Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com

From my nest to yours, ~Zuni

14 comments:

  1. Oh Zuni! What a delight for the eye - beautiful! I love the white on white embroidery and your choice of using the red and purple together is so pretty, especially with your plates. Happy Valentine's Day - yours should be great with this table!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say my friend, except that you got me "zuning" again!! Your table and all in it is exquisite! Everything vintage is lovely, like the vinatge sugar and creamer. I love the napkins and your son's gift too, so cute he is. The color choises are fabulous and your china is simple gorgeous! Happy Valentines, I love this post dear Zuny. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your passionate table!

    Wonderful to have you at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Zuni, this table is gorgeous!! Your Limoges, wow, and the vintage sugar and creamer, so beautiful!! I love it, my fave Vakentine's table so far that I've seen. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful table, Zuni! It all looks very romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Miss Zuni...what a pretty table! I love the combination of purple and red! That's one of the richest, sexiest color combinations around!!! You kept it from earning a PG-13 rating by adding the beautiful, lacy white linens and the sweet floral china. :-) The cut crystal is gorgeous!!! I can see you put a lot of thought and care into creating this red hot (and purple!) table! I hope you have a Valentine's Day as luxe and lavish as this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the mix of colors! Awesome job and so glad I dropped by from the Tablescaper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything is so gorgeous. I am so inspired to round up everything red and pink and run out and get a half dozen red candles to set the table for my family for Valentine's day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOur tablescape is stunning. I love your beautiful roses for the centerpiece and your china is exquisite. Truly gorgeous. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zuni, this table is so very romantic! The gold flatware is really very special and so good looking. I love the crystal.. wow. The china is stunning too. I know you two will have a wonderful time. As for us.. we eat at home just because we don't want to deal with the crowds.. and we like it this way.. LOL.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful -- and full of your passions, for sure! I enjoyed seeing your pretty china and crystal, and the photography is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is a very romantic table, love the color combo, too. Beautiful china pattern, Zuni. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, such a stunning table. I love all your vintage pieces. I especially love how you mixed the old with the new pieces. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Zuni,
    Everything was so beautiful. I loved your china and especially your vintage linens. Imagine all the stories the linens could tell, as Im sure they adorned so many beautiful tables. The touch of the gold flatware added just the perfect romantic charm. In your home, Love is certainly in the air. Thank you for encouraging me to love the detail.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips