Sunday, July 28, 2013

White Baptism Reception or Bridal Table

When Baby Love, our first grandbaby, was baptized, Mr.. Nest and I were thrilled to host the reception at our home afterwards.

The table was done in whites, using the beautiful, hand-stitched vintage tablecloth we had bought years before, exactly for the event—our grandbabies’-to-come baptism! Recently I saw the tablecloth again, as I inventoried my linens in my newly organized system (you can see the post on that here), and the memories of such a happy day inspired me to create a similar table, using the now-beloved (now that it was used for a grandbaby’s baptism) tablecloth, silver, and white hydrangeas, just as we did for her baptism. Her reception of course was a larger affair—we rented white tents and tables and chairs, using Battenberg tablecloths on all the outside tables, so this table is an inspiration table, for a small gathering of six. Won’t you join us? We’d love to have you!

White baptism or bridal table, double chafing dish The hydrangeas are from our yard, not quite in full bloom yet, but I really wanted to use our own, as we did for her baptism, and the vases are some that I purchased for her reception.  In this picture the detail along the edge of the tablecloth is visible.

I miss the candles on this table, but since this is a daytime gathering we are sans candles. Do you find it hard to leave candles off a table like I do? I just love the look of candles and candelabras.

Vintage handstitched tablecloth 3 I don’t know the names of many stitches, but I do know beauty and skill, and this one meets both. I can’t begin to imagine the skill and patience required to appliqué such tiny, exact pieces of thin, fine fabric with such tiny, perfectly spaced stitches. My grandmother and mother could do this type of stitching, and growing up we had plenty of these beautiful pieces on our tables, so that’s another reason why I love them so. They bring back memories and create memories. I hope someday Baby Love will have this tablecloth on her own table, for her babies’ and grandbabies’ baptisms.

or bridal table, double chafing dish 4 For some of the details of the table…

The silver double chafing dish: My mother and I found this wonderful piece at an antique shop many years ago, and I had to have it. The fact that it was double, had two sets of wonderful wood handles, and the original fuel burners with a wick made it impossible to pass up. They found a happy home!

or bridal table, silver double chafing dish, white hydrangeas

or bridal table, silver double chafing dish, vintage etched goblets5 There is something about etched, vintage goblets that I find irresistible, and although I don’t really need more crystal, it’s very hard for me to pass them up when I see them. These lovelies have a faceted effect on them that makes them gleam. Our guests will sip pink champagne punch from these beauties—I can’t wait to have some myself!

or bridal table, silver double chafing dish, vintage etched goblets2 To add interest and height to the table, the silver gallery tray holding the goblets sits on a crystal cake plate.

or bridal table, sterling punch bowl The champagne punch will be served in our sterling punch bowl, a long-ago gift from my MIL. Those of you dear friends who visit often know I like to use the Amish highchair we bought for our grandbabies as an auxiliary table, as I did for this buffet setting.

or bridal table, silver cake plate and dome1 I think we’ll also have soft pink petit fours in the pedestal, silver domed cake plate, a great gift from Bombay Co. when they had their wonderful retail stores. Do you remember Bombay Co.?

or bridal table, double chafing dish 7 I used one of my silverplate toast servers to hold the napkins, which, although not an exact match to the tablecloth, have the same lovely handwork. It, along with the silverware, sit at the end of the serving line, so guest don’t have to juggle extra items as they serve themselves, and they can pick them up as they walk away.

or bridal table, double chafing dish 6

or bridal table, double chafing dish116 The silverware was placed on another Bombay Co. silver piece—this one a small, tiered server.

or bridal table, double chafing dish, silver gallery tray, Waterford pitcher For those who prefer refreshing water, cucumber water with slices of strawberries will also be offered.

or bridal table, double chafing dish 3 This silver server, set on its own lid to add another layer to the table, will hold an assortment of tea sandwiches.

or bridal table, double chafing dish12 Our guests will serve themselves on these vintage pressed-glass plates. A silver salt shaker was re-purposed as a small flower vase. Its companion is elsewhere on the table.

or bridal table, double chafing dish, vintage pink cordials The liner on the table is barely pink, and these pink etched cordials are a nod to the guest of honor—a sweet and precious baby girl. Guests who might enjoy a bit of Bailey’s will be glad to do so in these beauties, which were a gift from my mother. Those of you who visit frequently might recall seeing them make an appearance at other gatherings.

or bridal table, silver double chafing dish21 My favorite little serving spoon had to make its appearance on this table, this time to serve pink and white yogurt-covered cranberries.  Do you love small, intricate pieces like this? Do you use them often, or are you simply happy to “have them there” like I am?

And now, for those of you who enjoy the little details, as I do, below are the close-ups you might be looking for. Enjoy!

or bridal table, double chafing dish14 

or bridal table, double chafing dish, silver gallery tray, Waterford pitcher.JPG2 The Waterford Lismore pitcher that very often appears on my REAL family tables, because I love, love, love its looks and its size—not too big, not too small.  It was a lovely wedding present almost 30 years ago.

or bridal table, silver double chafing dish25 Mmmmmm……a close-up of the stitching on this tablecloth!

or bridal table, silver double chafing dish23 Ribbons on the stems.

or bridal table, double chafing dish, Waterford vase, hydrangeas The Waterford Lismore vase filled the void between the two large vases.

or bridal table, double chafing dish, Waterford vase, hydrangea4 And my new, Endless Summer hydrangea made its debut at this table. I had two little clusters to clip, and I’m so excited I could use them on this table for our Sweet Baby Love!

or bridal table, silver double chafing dish, vintage crystal plates, silver undertray The plates are Depression pressed glass, but I can’t remember the details about them. If any of my readers would like to know, email me and I’ll do some research. The small silver tray was a happy find in an auction lot! Do you do auctions? Do you love the good extras you sometimes get in a lot? I love those fun finds!

or bridal table, silver double chafing dish, vintage etched cordials

 

And the best for last…this was our baptism gift to our Sweet Baby Love and her parents:

 8.17.08 - Your BEAUTIFUL portrait from Ito & Ita, for you, Mama, and Papa, with our love Sweet Baby Love

 

This is a close-up of her gown, our other gift to them. It’s also handmade and hand-stitched in a very similar style to the tablecloth, which was of course not orchestrated, just a happy coincidence. The short gown was a gift from a family friend, and she wore it at the reception.

81608-~4

Thank you for joining us at our baptism reception. I hope you liked the champagne punch, the petit fours, and the tea sandwiches, and that you’ll come back soon!

 

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you’ll leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them! And if you like what you see a lot, maybe you’d like to +1 this post or pin it on Pinterest too! Thank you!

I invite you to follow me. If you’ll let me know that you’re following, I’ll be sure to follow you back.

Sundays at The Tablescaper: http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/

Mop it Up Monday at http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com

Metamorphosis Monday at  http://betweennapsontheporch.net/

Tuesdays at http://www.astrollthrulife.net/

Tuesdays at http://hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com

Wednesdays at Let’s Dish: http://www.cuisinekathleen.com/

Wednesdays at http://diybydesign.blogspot.com/

Wednesdays at Wow Us: http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/

Thursdays at Tabletop Thursday: http://betweennapsontheporch.net/

Thursdays at No Minimalist Here: http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com/

Transformation Thursdays at http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/

Be Inspired Friday at http://www.Commonground-do.com/

Fridays at Feathered Nest: http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/

Fridays at http://rootedinthyme.blogspot.com/

Fridays at Home Sweet Home: http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

16 comments:

  1. How beautiful your table is.Perfect for a Baptism
    I have a special interest in Baptisms as I make gowns and have posted about them this week. The delicate gown you gave as a gift is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my absolutely favorite post of yours, ever! Oh, where to start?? All of that lovely vintage stemware (obsession of mine!) and those lovely linens are incredible. Zuni, how wonderful to have those double chafing dishes and all of the other serving pieces. You did a fabulous job with the table - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is one gorgeous table! I'm so glad you paid my blog a visit so that I could find your blog and visit you back. I love the name Chickadee Home Nest. We feed the birds in our yard and the little Chickadees are the friendliest little guys, and so unafraid.

    I think I'll go now and visit some more of your posts.

    Blessings to you,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zuni! Oh, my gosh! I don't know where to begin! The table is gorgeous! And that baby is a living doll! Everything is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to go back and look again. I love white tables, rooms, clothing, flowers . . . The combination of white and silver could not be more perfect. That baptismal gown is so, so beautiful! What a lovely party for this precious occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful tablescape. Every single detail of the lines, china, silver and crystal is perfection. So beautiful. That precious baby is the frosting on the cake. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. The crystal paired with all the white and silver...oh my gosh it is so pretty pretty...You have done such a good good job on this table, love the touches of greenery on the table, so fresh and delightful....thanks for sharing...tablescapes are a lot of work and I always want people to know that I appreciate that so much...the creativity yay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and elegant setting for a very important event! I love the ribbons on the stemware too, lovely
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every detail is so lovely. I wish that more people would celebrate important events with there finest instead of paper and plastic. My family has kind of got use to me not use throwing away for parties.

    Cathy's Cupboard Calamity <;)) (you get a double smile from me because I so really enjoyed this one)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello sweet lady!
    Yes, the tablecloth is gorgeous and it already holds memories, which reminds me of a lace Belgium tablecloth I bought there, specially thinking for my two daughters First C. and now I will be using it on my grandgirl's FC! I love the table setting, it's so elegant with such lovely detail and things, from the stunning etched stems, silver ware, and china. A Baptism is such a special family event and for us grandparents, even more so! May God bless this little angel always. Thank you for coming sweet friend. Enjoy your weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning! Oh My! I love this tablescape. Awe...and the sweet little one is so pretty! Thanks for sharing this. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very beautiful! Silver and white is always so elegant, and the pop of green is subtle,
    but so effective! Gorgeous serving pieces, and the sweet angel's portrait is amazing!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a stunning table....just stunning! and I love the silver and white....

    XO,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful! I love the linens and the beautiful christening gown. Joyful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful buffet table, Zuni, the cloth is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips