Sunday, July 14, 2013

Espresso Your Love

Cuban Coffee (Café Cubano), is made with Café ESPRESSO, the bold, strong coffee that we associate with romantic Italian sidewalk cafés (and now Starbucks). Enjoying a cup of it is a deep and almost-revered tradition in my Cuban culture as well.  I have many memories of my family’s after-dinner “cafecito”—a small coffee—as the basis for long (and often-animated) conversations at the table.  (By the way, these after-dinner conversation are such an ingrained and much-loved part of a Cuban family meal that we have a name for it: sobremesa [so-breh-meh’-sah].  Isn’t that lovely?  The family not running off after a meal, but staying to chat and discuss the events of the day?)

Some readers of this blog may stay away from espresso because it has more caffeine per unit volume than most drinks, but because it’s served in small vessels—usually in a demitasse or even smaller cups—it actually has less caffeine than an 8-ounce cup of drip-brewed coffee! Now, that’s a surprise! The brewing process makes the flavors more concentrated, which tend to be a bit too concentrated for me, so I make a cortadito, which in Spanish means “small cut,” meaning that you “cut” the intensity of the coffee by adding steamed milk to it.  Not to be confused with lattés and cappuccinos, and café au lait (or since we’re “speaking” Spanish today, café con leche), a cortadito is still served in a demitasse.

Yesterday was a lovely day in central Ohio; the perfect time to serve ESPRESSO cortaditos for two in the garden.

Blue and white table setting, Espresso, @ Chickadee Home Nest

But first, how to make it.

Bustelo, espresso at Chickadee Home Nest Nothing fancy…the stove-top ESPRESSO maker I’ve had for years. This is the small version, which makes 1 or 2 cups, and I have a much larger one for family serving.

Bustelo, espresso at Chickadee Home Nest My family’s espresso of choice is Café Bustelo, now available at many large grocery stores or online. (It’s also available as decaf, as well as instant. I use the instant to make a bold cup of American coffee—it’s delish.)

Bustelo, espresso at Chickadee Home Nest This won’t be a complete how-to, nor will it be technical, but the reservoir below the coffee basket holds the water, and the coffee basket is filled completely, and the coffee tamped.  I use the bottom of my coffee measure to tamp it.  There is no measuring—you fill the basket, tamp, and refill and tamp as necessary.

Bustelo, espresso at Chickadee Home Nest Can you smell it? The brewed coffee bubbles up through the central core. The wonderful aroma of coffee wafts through the house.

Blue and white table setting, Espresso, @ Chickadee Home Nest This is how we enjoyed our cafecito in the garden.

Bustelo, espresso at Chickadee Home Nest The demitasses are fairly new to me—an auction win I was thrilled about. Six blue and white demitasses! And the darling demitasse spoons I’ve had for years.

DSCN7723 Steamed milk to make our cortadito

DSCN7725 And of course, sugar…LOTS of sugar (or in my case, Splenda). Warning: This is not a drink where you want to cut back on the sugar! Such bold coffee needs the counterbalance the sugar provides.

Bustelo, espresso at Chickadee Home Nest And I should add that the flowers are real. I am NUTS about these two geraniums we have this year. Don’t they look like they have been hand-painted?!

Blue and white table setting, Espresso, @ Chickadee Home Nest

As the sun moved it created wonderful shadows. I’ll share some of the pictures for your enjoyment.

DSCN7756

DSCN7789 Of course, we couldn’t be al fresco and not have a few of these!

DSCN7778

DSCN7763 

DSCN7784

DSCN7795

Blue and white table setting, Espresso, @ Chickadee Home Nest

DSCN7816

DSCN7832

DSCN7733 It was lovely in the garden, and the cafecito…perfect. Won’t you join me? I’ll have it ready in a wink.

So tell me—are you a fan of ESPRESSO, or not so much? Have you ever tried it as a cortadito? I’d love to hear from you—even if you like the setting more than the café.

Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you’ll leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them! And if you like what you see a lot, maybe you’d like to Google+ this post or pin it on Pinterest too! Thank you!

I invite you to follow me. If you’ll let me know that you’re following, I’ll be sure to follow you back.

Sundays at The Tablescaper: http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/

Mop it Up Monday at http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com

Metamorphosis Monday at  http://betweennapsontheporch.net/

Tuesdays at http://www.astrollthrulife.net/

Tuesdays at http://hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com

Wednesdays at Let’s Dish: http://www.cuisinekathleen.com/

Wednesdays at http://diybydesign.blogspot.com/

Wednesdays at Wow Us: http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/

Thursdays at Tabletop Thursday: http://betweennapsontheporch.net/

Thursdays at No Minimalist Here: http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com/

Transformation Thursdays at http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/

Be Inspired Friday at http://www.Commonground-do.com/

Fridays at Feathered Nest: http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/

Fridays at http://rootedinthyme.blogspot.com/

Fridays at Home Sweet Home: http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

From my nest to yours~

Zuni

20 comments:

  1. Zuni - thanks for the invitation to join you here - your blog is lovely and I am enjoying catching up on some of your past posts - I hope you become a follower of The Creative Me and My McG if you aren't already!! Can't wait to see what you'll be up to next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Zuni! I used to love having a cafe con leche when I was younger. Now that I am an old woman, caffeine in any amount and I simply do not get along. No coffee, no tea, no chocolate...NO caffeine for me. :-( I drink decaffeinated everything. So...I'm glad to see that the Cafe Bustelo comes in a decaffeinated form! There are many winter days on the horizon when I'm sure una taza de cafe con leche o un cortadito would be great! I've never steamed milk before, so that will be an adventure in and of itself! :-)

    I like it that you have the conventional brewer to make your cafe. The old stuff is usually the best!

    Your flowers look really pretty!!! The color is absolutely brilliant!!! I hope you have many more weeks of enjoyment with them.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed cafe con leche when I was a child, but we didn't call it that. These days I only drink coffee/espresso on rare occasions. Your tray for two is really pretty, and the flowers are unique; I don't think I've ever seen that variety before. I see why you're loving them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so pretty and an espresso is just the energy boost I need right now. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zuni, I love this post! Boy, does this bring back memories! I don't drink espresso and never have, but I used to make it for my family all the time when I was growing up. When my sister visits, I buy a can of Bustelo and enjoy the wonderful aroma. Now I drink decaf Dunkin' Donuts coffee and save the espresso for Cuban parties. Your new Demi-tasse cups are lovely! Love the blue and white. Actually, I love everything about this post, including those pretty flowers and the patio set for two. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Zuni - I don't drink coffee but I can tell you that Montreal is one of the biggest SNOBS with their Espresso Bars LOL - your photos are just gorgeous!
    Came by because you left a sweet comment - and am now happily following you !!!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Zuni, you make this look just delightful. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Zuni. Your photography is so gorgeous and love the little demitasse cups. Looks delicious and wonderful..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your images are so beautiful Zuni. Love the tray and sweet demitasse cups. Your flowers are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Zuni! How I would love to enjoy the sombremesa with you and some of our other blogging friends! My happiest meals are when everyone stays at the table and has wonderful conversations! The coffee sounds wonderful - I love really strong coffee. My problem is that I drink it black and I am not sure about the added sugar. I do not have a problem with sugar - I just love the taste of the coffee without it! Your table is lovely and so are your pictures. I did enjoy them so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely post that is perfect with my morning cappuccino!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Zuni! Your espresso looks tempting! I am a tea drinker, although I do drink coffee occasionally, and would love to try it if you were preparing it for me. That would be a treat. Your setting is soooo pretty out in the garden. The darling demitasse cups were a fabulous win, weren't they? Your geraniums are gorgeous. I hear from my Mom and sister that you're having hot temperatures right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a lovely setting for espresso! Your photos are gorgeous! I don't regular drink espresso but do enjoy a coffee and tea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet post....you could make a lover expresso out a tea drinker so easily....lol and what beautiful photos you took!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have no problema with coffee, I just adore it! We were just in Flo. for our vacation and we had lots of 'cortaditos' in the Cuban restaurants and my fav, 'Baca Frita, lol' I really wish I knew how to make it though...maybe you should share some home récipes from your beautiful mother, dear Zuni! Anyway...I love your gorgeous settting for espresso, out in your lovely garden! I tyhink us Latins love our coffee and we produce fabulous coffee around here too! I love the blue and white china pattern, it's so pretty, it reminds me of my teapot. Thanks mi 'linda amiga' for your sweet comments and you certainly are welcomed to come over anytime, wish it were true, though! Have a wonderful Summer. Abrazos para toda tu familia, la propia y la Cubana...jajajaa
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post, and understand it well since I'm here in Miami! It's the drink of choice here,
    but I go with the cafe con leche. Beautiful setting, I love everything blue and white!
    I'm joining you outside for a cup!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gracias! La vaca frita me salio divina, le encanto a Alejandro! He said it tasted and looked just like the Orlando one, lol... Have a super week amiguita!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a pretty setting for an expresso. We enjoy one every afternoon, but I think I need to work on the ambiance. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Zuni, You are so sweet to share your customs with us. I learned so much from you today. I love you beautiful cups and I adore that make your brew in the traditional way. The setting was breathtaking. You should frame the shot that had the special effects.
    I have been traveling but now home for a long time, I hope.
    Have a blessed weekend,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  20. Zuni, I know this is an older post but I just adore the photos and I've never heard of Cuban Coffee! Would you share this at Five Star Frugal this week? For me? Love Mimi xxx
    http://atrayofbliss.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/five-star-frugal-15the-pink-one.html

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips