Monday, April 30, 2012


Joyful News -- Mr. Bright Eyes Has Arrived!


Well, Mr. B.E. arrived on April 16th., at 6:39 AM.  A bouncing, beautiful BABY BOY weighing in at 8 lbs, 6 oz.  Healthy and beautiful, we are thankful for the many blessings in our lives, especially healthy, happy babies.

As the time got closer I prepared for his arrival by getting the bassinet my grandmother "dressed" for me when my first baby was born.  I can't begin to imagine creating this--it even has a "petticoat" under it--and she did it without a pattern!

You don't see these anymore--or at least not very often--but I did find some at Ababy.com.  You'll want to check them out...some go for over $2,000!   I also read that brides used to use their wedding gowns, or parts of them, to then have the "dress" for their babies' bassinet made.  I think that's a very sweet idea, don't you?

Our tradition is European, where many of our family's traditions originated.  A few years ago I saw a cover story in a magazine from Spain where the royal baby was "introduced," and there was the lovely, dressed bassinet.


It does kind of look like a wedding dress, doesn't it?
But softer, and sweeter.

Back when my grandmother made this, we didn't know our babies' gender until the doc said,
"It's a BOY!" or  "It's a GIRL!" so yellow, pink, and blue...suitable for either.

     
And if there wasn't enough beautiful handwork in the bassinet itself,
my mother embroidered a sheet and pillow sham (no fears--no pillows used with babies!).
The stitching is masterful.


Now THREE of my grandmother's great-great grandchildren, and my mother's great-grandchildren have slept like royalty, thanks to their lovely needlework and devotion to keep our traditions alive.  Since our family escaped from Cuba in 1961, our family heirlooms are rather new in comparison to others', but I think that makes us treasure them all the more, because we are the ones saving the precious memories to pass on.

I am happy to be the keeper of these beautiful things--my brother and SIL, and my sister and BIL each have their own as well, for their babies' babies. We think this is a beautiful tradition to carry on.  

What have you passed down to your babies?  Do you think they will continue to be passed down?  I'd love to hear about your baby traditions.


Thanks for stopping by.  Please leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them!  They encourage me and inspire me.  And if you like what you see a lot J, maybe you’d like to +1 this post or pin it on Pinterest too!  Thank you!

I hope you will follow me.  If you’ll let me know that you’re following, I’ll be sure to follow you back.




These are the parties I’m joining this week; I hope you’ll stop by!

Sunday’s Simply Klassics at http://www.simplyklassichome.com/
Show Off Your Cottage Monday at http://houseinroses.blogspot.com/
Market Yourself Monday at http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com/
Monday Just Something I Whipped Up at http://www.thegirlcreative.com/
CraftOManiac Monday at http://craftomaniac.blogspot.com/
Wednesday at Tea Rose Home at http://tearosehome.blogspot.com/
We Did It Wednesday at http://www.sew-much-ado.com/
Wednesday’s Hoo’s Got Talent at http://nightowlcrafting.blogspot.com/
Home and Garden Thursday at http://blissfulrhythm.blogspot.com/
Home and Garden Thursday at http://blissfulrhythm.blogspot.com/
Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com/
Show and Tell Friday at http://romantichome.blogspot.com/
Spotlight Saturday at http://www.classyclutter.blogspot.com/
From my nest to yours~
    Zuni




22 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the arrival of a beautiful baby boy!
    The bassinet is exquisite. I love the idea of passing down such special treasures.
    Mr Bright Eyes is unbelievably cute ~ it's going to be very difficult to say 'no' to him, but then that's not a Grandma's job is it?
    Enjoy you're very special baby boy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Zuni! That bassinet is beautiful and it's wonderful you have pieces for it that were made by past generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how beautiful he is! Congratulations and God Bless you all. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing a super-sized Happy Dance for you right now!!! Congratulations to your family on the new arrival. Mr. Bright Eyes is just beautiful, and he's looking very relaxed! This is truly the Mercedes of bassinetts!!! It's absolutely incredible that your Grandmother created this beautiful covering...and without a pattern!!! I can barely sew on a button!!! She did a fantastic job, and I'm glad that this and other bassinetts are being passed down in your family. I love those sorts of traditions! I had a beautiful bassinett for my son when he was born. It was dressed in all white. Lost it when I divorced, though, along with other treasures. :-( I do, however, still have my baby boy's first little shoes prominently displayed in our living room on a bookshelf! I don't even know if they make those little baby shoes anymore...the white ones with the hard bottom that lace up? I loved those little shoes on him, and I cherish them! I keep the bracelet I got with his 1st photo at the hospital around the shoes. Thank you for sharing the new sunshine in your life!!! Have a wonderful week, and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one special bassinet, Zuni and how wonderful that it has been used by so many family members. Congrats on the new baby in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Zuni! God bless your new gson!

    We have 4 and never find out what it will be, it ruins the surprise!

    The bassinet is beautiful, we have one very much like it, but my mom made the skirt, so yours goes back another generation. My mother's 9 grandchildren were all christened in the gown she made, and one of her ggkid's too. A beautiful organdy , trimmed in lace and she made the slip and bonnet too.

    I agree, traditions are important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zuni, First Congratulations. Most wonderful thing that can happen in our world, grandchildren. I will be attending the collage graduation of two grandsons , May 12 and May 13. I know how wonderful the relationship can be.
    The bassinett is awesome. Words fail to describe it's beauty and legacy. You indeed have a treasure.
    Enjoy that baby.
    Blessings, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zuni, what treasures you have in your new grandson - and in the bassinet! Your little one was born just a few days after our grandson, and I know you're enjoying him as much as I am mine! I had a bassinet when I was a baby, but it was no longer in the family when my girls were born. I used a Moses basket instead. I wish I'd kept it for the grands, but it was a doll bed for my girls, and it took all the lovin' it could stand from them! I think your family traditions are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zuni! Congratulations! What a gorgeous baby! My boys had a beautiful basinet, too, made by a dear friend. It was all eyelet lace. I love the idea of a basinet even though my babies rarely slept in it. They slept in the big bed with my husband and me. Your mother's embroidery is exquisite! What happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Zuni! Your grandson is previous!! I have three grandsons and let me tell you they are the sunshine in my life. I just love them to pieces. That bassinet is beautiful and how special that it has been used by so many family members. Blessings to you and to that new grandbaby of yours, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bee-yoo-tee-ful baby! And beautiful bassinet too. We have two of them in the family to pass around. One was the one my own mother slept in as a baby. She used it for her own children but then had a set of twins so had to get a second. Since that one is over 50 years old, it's plenty old as well.
    I hadn't even thought that they are now rarities, but I'm sure you're right! Your heirloom is absolutely gorgeous in every possible way.

    And congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats!!! I just love the bassinet and the baby is beautiful. I wish nothing but happiness and good health to this gorgeous little boy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Congratulations to you and your family"! He is a "BEAUTIFUL BABY BOY"! Our family traditions sound just like yours. As a matter of fact all three of my boys started out in a our families bassinet "EXACTLY LIKE YOURS"!!! I do "LOVE THOSE"!!!
    I am your newest follower... AND I'm so happy you visited me and decided to stay!
    Have a wonderful fun weekend "AND" enjoy that beautiful bouncing baby boy!
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a new follower and who wouldn't be?! That bassinet and the family traditions story are both treasures. I love the importance of heirlooms in our lives. Each family possession that I have includes a memory and my heart is full of love for the people I have come from.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a new follower as well,, and congratulations... Your young one is adorable!!!! What a blessing! Just wanted to pop over to say I posted the baked egg recipe today at
    http://wwweaglewing.blogspot.com/2012/05/my-early-morning-garden-tea.html
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on Bright Eyes! I think a bassinet is one of the most charming baby traditions ever. We don't have children, but my sister has passed on some generational baby items to her children and now her grands. I think it's special to have these family heirlooms.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratualtions on your new grandbaby!! I am awaiting the arrival of my first grandbaby, a girl! I have just discovered your blog and am your newest follower. I love that the bassinet has been passed down for generations...what a special tradition.

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  18. congrats on your new gbaby, zuni!! he's adorable:) and i love your table setting below!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! How marvelous! The bassinet is perfect - love the lace and the ribbon detail - this is the perfect way to greet a new member of a family - so very precious! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there Zuni. I am following right back. You have a beautiful blog. Love that sweet new baby. How exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello, Just wanted to stop by and let you know your sweet post will be featured tonight in my Home and Garden Thursday post! I appreciate you,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes, I missed it somehow, how stupid!! You should always remind me to visit as some do it! You know how I love family heritage, heirlooms and babies!! Congrats, baby Marino is totally adorable, just love baby Marino and how is he doing? He must be a little cutie by now making lots of "agus", (in spanish, lol) Thank you for sharing your stories about Cuba and your family, I so love to hear about it! The bassinet is gorgeous and all the sweet and lovely embroidery linens, just gorgeous!! We have bassinet tradition around here too, but specially the Christening gown, has passed thru all my hubby and his siblings, our children and now grandkids and great-grands for some Bils, lol..We Latins do have so much tradition is just wonderful. Thank you for bringing me here!
    Luv ya,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips