Monday, May 6, 2013

ASCP Duck Egg Theatre Seat

Annie Sloan paint to the rescue!

We bought this theatre seat at least 20 years ago, and except for a brief period when we had it in use in the family room, it’s always been in the basement gathering dust, but I never wanted to part with it.

DSCN7444 It’s such a versatile piece, because the seats flip up and the legs close, like a triple folding chair, so it can easily be put aside if need be.  And for a long time I’ve wanted something narrow for this spot in the screened porch that would allow for extra seating…then a giant light bulb popped up over my head!  And there was a voice, too!  It said, “Bring the theatre seat up,” and in a whisper it said, “P-a-i-n-t i-t!”  What?!  Paint something that old?!  Won’t I be ruining its value (whatever it is, which I don’t really know)?!

DSCN7445  Ummmm…the mental tug-a-war didn’t last long.  I got up Saturday morning—a beautiful, sunshiny day—determined to paint it.  Just like that.  Out came the ASCP in what else???  Duck Egg!

DSCN7446

DSCN7447 Ahhh, yes, I’m very happy with it.

What do you think?  Did I make a mistake in painting it?  I looked on eBay and Etsy after I painted it :), and they can be a lot pricier than I thought.  But I wasn’t planning on selling it, and at least now it’s in use, and I’ve already enjoyed looking out on the porch and seeing it soooooo much, that it’s worth it to me.  But I still would like to know from my friends out there—should I have painted it, or am I crazy to have done it?  What have you painted regardless of its {monetary} value?

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you’ll leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them! And if you like what you see a lot, maybe you’d like to +1 this post, or pin it on Pinterest too! Thank you!

I invite you to follow me. If you’ll let me know that you’re following, I’ll be sure to follow you back.

These are the parties I’m joining this week.  I hope you’ll stop by and visit!

Sundays at The Tablescaper: http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/

Mop it Up Monday at http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com

Metamorphosis Monday at  http://betweennapsontheporch.net/

Tuesdays at http://www.astrollthrulife.net/

Tuesdays at http://hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com

Wednesdays at Wow Us: http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/

Thursdays at Home Sweet Home: http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

Thursdays at No Minimalist Here: http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com/

Transformation Thursdays at http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/

Be Inspired Friday at http://www.Commonground-do.com/

Fridays at Feathered Nest: http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/

Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com

From my nest to yours, ~Zuni

17 comments:

  1. I think it looks great, Zuni, but I love Duck Egg anyway! You will get people who will say you shouldn't have painted it, but it really is up to you ~ how you use a piece in your home and where it is going. If it was a seriously valuable family heirloom I probably wouldn't paint something, but you're using something that you had in storage and haven't used in awhile. Enjoy it and don't have "painter's regret"! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zuni....I say paint it. Why not do something that you are going to like and make use of it? Great idea for the screened porch, just in case you need extra seating. ~Hugs, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. OF COURSE you should have painted it because: 1) you put a great old piece back in circulation, 2) you weren't going to sell it, so "value" is relative, 3) it's the perfect solution to your seating challenge, and 4) you love it now! Oh, and 5) anything that looks THAT good wearing Duck Egg Blue should definitely be painted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of wood. However, the painted version is so much more welcoming! I think you did a wonderful job - it is a beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since you don't plan to sell it, painting it makes so much sense b/c now it is out of the basement and serving a purpose! It looks wonderful on your porch. Enjoy it! Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heck, yes, I would have painted it!!!!! That's really fun and cool seating for your home, and you just made it more "yours." Now you can make it even MORE yours by adding a monogram on each seat or your family initial or cool words, or whatever you want...or just leave them as they are with that beautiful paint! You GO, girl!!! I have fiddled around with a lot of stuff that has monetary value just because I don't think I'm ever going to part with it. I figure if someone wants to strip the paint to reveal the original thing after I sell it or have parted this world, then that's on THEM!!! I want to enjoy things the way I want them while I'm still here on earth!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun is this. Love the color. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep saying this mantra- "Paint is your friend, Zuni. Paint is your friend...." I think it was a good choice to paint the seats and of course, Duck Egg Blue is a fave of mine! They turned out great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that blue! You've really upped the charm on this piece! I would've painted it, too. That is, I would have painted it if it had even occurred to me. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks great! i don't know how, but to me the shape and curve of the backs stand out more painted. so glad you finally did it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this seating! And, you can never go wrong with Duck Egg! Life to the full! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so totally great! What a great seating piece for your porch!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Annie Sloan did a fine job! '-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Annie Sloan paints! Looks great! I am new from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and follow me back! Have a great day,Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful Zune, I love the light blue but I do have a hard time painting things. I wish I could because your theatre seats look so lovely on the screened porch. I would say you made the right choice.
    Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the color! AS has the best paint ever! I would love for you to share this at my linky party. http://hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/efforts-and-assets-linky-party-1.html

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  17. Zuni, it looks great painted...all cheerful and happy. I think you made a wise choice!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips