Sunday, January 26, 2014

Candlelight and Reds to Warm Our Winter Days and Nights

As in much of the country, in Ohio we’re experiencing record-breaking low temps and snow. With those record-breakers we’ve managed to have a few of those beautiful, bright days where you need your sunglasses because of the bright snow. Sun…always good news!

How do you feel about winter? Do you suffer from Winter Blues, or are you able to grin and bear it? Or do you love it? I’m a summer girl—it’s got to be way up in the 90°s for me to be chased inside to the AC. So, although I’m blessed to not suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), I do suffer from just being plain ol’ cold. Never too many layers for me! But, I have to admit, the snow has been BEAUTIFUL!

It all started innocently enough one day back in December…we got some snow, and thought perhaps it meant we’d have a white Christmas (we didn’t) —

DSCN0024We didn’t even have that much snow, and a white Christmas is certainly not guaranteed around here, so, we welcomed it! It was mid-December (you can see our neighborhood tour of snowy cottages decorated for Christmas here), and like I said, it was oh, so Christmassy and pretty!

Well, six weeks later, and we STILL have snow! We got about 6” yesterday, and this morning 3” more came along. And we’ve had many a windy day with wind-chill factors in the minus teens! And for the start of the week? Temperatures—not wind-chill factor—in the -16° range. No, it’s not a typo…MINUS 16°F with wind-chill factors expected in the -30° range! We’re starting to feel a little like hibernating bears! Under the covers, snoozing through long leisurely naps sounds pretty good.

But again, God’s paintbrush gives us the gift of beauty. Yesterday, as I worked at the table near the screened porch, I had to go grab my camera, which doesn’t begin to do justice to what my eyes were seeing.

DSCN1455 I love the dusting of snow on the table and the floor! That’s the howling wind blowing it in!

DSCN1456 And the snowflakes clinging to the screens made them look lacy and beautiful. Hard to complain when this is what we see from our cozy warm homes! And see how much snow is on the picnic table?!

DSCN1460

DSCN1458 This has been our after-Christmas vignette on the screened porch, now kissed with snow.

Today we came home (yes, we ventured out!) and I looked out on the screened porch and patio (as I’ve done A LOT lately, to see what’s happening out there, LOL), and another lovely sight it was:

DSCN1642

DSCN1649 I quickly brought our {new} mirrored candle piece out to the screened porch, to enjoy the fire and snow.

DSCN1650 Doesn’t the snowy log cabin look warm and inviting? Yes, I DID light a candle in it (have always wanted to do that!)—but only for a brief moment. :)

DSCN1663 Do you ever fall for the one-for-her/one-for-me shopping mantra? This was one of those cases. Our DIL loves candles, so when we saw this candle “piece” at one of our favorite shops—The Morgan House—we knew it would be a great gift for her, and we (yes, Mr. CHN was in on it) decided we needed one too!

The winter/fire theme continues inside on our dining table, where pine cones and evergreens have reigned since after Christmas, as our January winter ‘scape.

DSCN1691 Other parts of our home are also sporting plaids (here), to warm our surroundings.

DSCN1674

DSCN1672-001 These roses are from our Three Kings celebration (here), and as many of you know by now, old roses are dear to me. It’ll probably still be a while before I get rid of them. :)

DSCN1688 …and the red roses, also from the Three Kings celebration.

The January vignettes in our home are usually in whites and silver with touches of evergreens—something more serene after all the colors of Christmas. This year, for some reason, I wasn’t tired of the red and kept some out. Boy, am I glad I did! The red in the plaid-and-silver vignette, the china cabinet (I showed you a peak of it last week), and other areas has really helped to warm our home this cold and white and snowy January!

So how are you staying "mentally” warm this winter? What colors bring you comfort and warmth during the winter months? Fill me in—you never know how long this cold spell’s going to last—I may have enough time for a switch! :)

Stay Warm!

Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you’ll leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I’m thrilled to know you stopped by, and I’ll always visit back and comment too. If you like what you see, I invite you to follow me (I promise to follow back), and please—Pin away and follow me on Pinterest too! Thank you!!

NOTE: Some of the items I use in my posts are in my Etsy shop, but many are not, simply because I haven’t updated my shop. If you see something you like and wonder if it’s available for sale, email me at coral5252@gmail.com and let’s talk!

Sunday Showcase at http://www.bystephanielynn.com/

Sunday Creative Home and Garden Hop at http://creativehomeexpressions.blogspot.com/

Sundays at The Tablescaper: http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/

Mop it Up Monday at http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com

Metamorphosis Monday at  http://betweennapsontheporch.net/

Masterpiece Monday at http://boogieboardcottage.blogspot.com/

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com

Tuesdays at Our Home at http://mariaelenasdecor.blogspot.com/

Tuesday’s Treasures http://www.myuncommonsliceofsuburbia.com/

Inspire Me Tuesday at http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/

Wow Us Wednesdays at http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/

DIY by Design Party at http://diybydesign.blogspot.com/

Home and Garden Thursday at http://blissfulrhythm.blogspot.com/

Open House Party Thursday at http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com

Transformation Thursdays at http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/

Feathered Nest Friday at http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/

Home Sweet Home Fridays at http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

Thrifty Things Friday at http://thethriftygroove.blogspot.com/

Vintage Inspiration Friday at http://commonground-debrasvintagedesigns.blogspot.com/

Show and Tell Friday at http://romantichome.blogspot.com/

From my nest to yours~

Zuni

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful views! Love all of the snow pics, and that log cabin and candle centerpiece is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty, Zuni! I love your vignette with the candles on your screened porch. I like to light candles in the Winter months, too. It seems to add to the coziness. I hate that it has been so snowy {icy} and frigid for so long. I can only handle a couple of grey days in a row before it does start to affect me. So the sun being out has been nice. I will be thankful when Spring arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I "NEED" one of those cool mirrored candlelight deals, too!!!!!!!! :-) That is just BEAUTIFUL!!! It really makes a HUGE statement!

    I'm glad to see you spicing up your home with hues of red. It really does seem to help with the S.A.D. I get all moody and antsy during the winter months, too. There really is something to that S.A.D.

    It's great that you were able to find some beauty in the tons of snow you guys have had dumped on you. That dusting on the porch furniture really is pretty!

    have a beautiful week, and I hope things thaw out there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You create such warm and wonderful vignettes. I do not like cold so I usually keep some red items and some lights out from Christmas for the glow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zuni,
    I get the Ohio daily,y weather report from my mom and sister. It was no coat weather yesterday and I was at the park with some grands. Today it's windy and freezing out!!
    I love your sweet vignette on your table. It's so warm and inviting and perfect for January. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Zuni! We have been freezing here, but little to no snow. I am so over it. I went out yesterday to cut Rosemary and it has succumbed to the bitter cold wind. I spent all day grieving six large bushes that surrounded our deck. I absolutely LOVE that candle holder. I saw one similar years ago on a design show and have wanted one since. Please tell me more about yours. Is there a brand name? Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zuni, your home looks so warm and inviting... and your snow is gorgeous! It's been really cold here in Tennessee, too, but we haven't had as much snow as last year. I'm still hoping for some...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not at all a winter person! Like, you I prefer summers. It's not only the warmer temperatures, it's the freedom of not having to deal with coats, hats, scarves, boots . . . It's the green leaves on the trees and the flowers and the grass . .. It's the blue skies (Oh, I know that there's the occasional blue winter sky but it's infrequent and doesn't last long). I do get S.A.D. but I've been better since last year when I upped my Vitamin D, it's made a huge difference. As for our house, after the decorating trifecta of Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas, I like to enjoy a sparsely decorated house in January. I may put out a lavender scented candle in the bedroom, and sit by the fire in the Family Room, but that's about it. I usually plan a huge event at work in late January or early February that forces me out the door in this weather, and keeps me from taking time off. This year, it's on February 4th. Afterwards, I'm planning to hibernate and take a few days off to sit by the fire and crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my gosh! I forgot to comment on the view from your screened porch: It's beautiful! Once in a while my husband and I toy with the idea of adding a screened porch to our house. Yours is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are also experiencing unusual temperatures. I live on the MS Gulf Coast and we are out of school for two days due to icy roads, sleet and yes, snow. I am looking out my back window watching the sleet fall and accumulate around the trees. I love your decor and it does make your photos warm and inviting. I like color anytime of the year and love your plaid. I am visiting from Coastal Home and am a new follower. I hope you have time to visit me at Still Woods Farmhouse. I am sharing a terrific Superbowl appetizer your gang would probably love. Stay warm!
    Blessings from Still Woods Farmhouse

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing images and photography amiga mia! Your screened porch is gorgeous, gosh I wish I was there having a cuppa coffee with you! The mirrored candle lights are lovely I just transport myself. Your house looks beautiful in any season dear Zuni!
    Thanks for visiting Cayetana, she's so happy that she's popular as I read all the comments to her, lol! Ella es una niña muy simpática, cariñosa y siempre nos hace reir, es increíble! Carños,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your photos and the dusting of snow. So pretty.

    It's wonderful to have you at Seasonal Sundays.

    - Alma, The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cold outside, but so warm and wonderful inside. Great vignette. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos and I love all your vignettes. Thanks for sharing at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything looks so warm and cozy! I featured this post today over at TTG FB page! thank you for sharing at TTF this past week. https://www.facebook.com/thethriftygroove

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had just told Dan winter is long but God gives us a time to rest and be still. Oh how your screened porch made that statement. If I go outside and listen to the stillness and see the real beauty it gives me such great peace. Beautiful and warm and peaceful is what your pictures say to me. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. so pretty with the snow, love the plaid and that darling log cabin!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Zuni, you know that I love that plaid! I am almost identical to you as far as the weather. I can handle the heat. lol! I don't get the Winter blues. Although the older I get the less I like the cold I love the beauty of the snow. We rely on it here in UT to make our gardens gorgeous in the summer.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips