Saturday, January 7, 2012

Celebrating The Epiphany--the Three Kings' Long Trip

"Celebración de los Reyes Magos" - Having come to the U.S. from Cuba in 1961, our family still celebrates "El Día de los Reyes Magos" (The Day of the Three Kings), and the Kings still bring presents to our children.  Our 4-year-old granddaugher explained to her pre-school teacher that they come to our homes "because our family is Cuban."  :) 

The "Reyes Magos" are such an integral part of Latin culture that my mother told me recently of a wonderful toy store in Havana (Cuba) called "Los Reyes Magos."  Isn't that a great name for a toy store?!  Surely it didn't survive much after 1961.

This year my husband and I hosted our family's Three Kings celebration, now that our granddaughter is old enough to understand the story.  The Three Kings brought some gifts and left them under the tree for them (yes, we keep our tree up until The "Reyes Magos" come), but to make certain that the spirit of the day wasn't lost, the central figure in my tablescape was my childhood Baby Jeasus, which my grandmother managed to bring back to me in 1983 when she was able to visit Cuba.  She gave it to me originally, and gave it to me again...isn't that {AMAZING}?!


A celebration of the Three Kings is really about Baby Jesus.
The Three Kings:  Melchior, Gaspar, and Balthazar
We know they brought frankincense, myrrh, and gold,
but we don't know which gift each brought.
The red candle urn (left) is Tiara.
Crystal Three Kings and Baby Jesus
After I took this picture I added the the full text of Matthew 2: 1-12,
telling the story of The Wise Men.
A battery-operated candle behind the vintage trees
gave the scene in the cloche a soft glow.

In our invitation we promised cookies and hot chocolate and other "kingly" treats...
The table was set in jewel tones--befitting the gifts that the Three Kings brought.
Here's what we served~
Christmas tree carrot Bundt cake (in s/p cake stand with wonderful high dome,
from Bombay Company, a gift from my mother years ago)
Cream cheese with hot pepper jelly (red) and green pepper jelly
with buttery crackers (lower right)
Gem shortbread cookies
Candy cane-striped meringue kisses 


Jewel-toned vintage Tiara platter and Cambridge Caprice bowl
(the latter a gift from my SIL years ago)
Sterling compote holds whole cashews and dried cranberries,
a simple, yummy combination.


Since we were serving buffet style, the "star" stacker seemed quite apropos, don't you think?
Ribbon candy is a must during the holidays...in another Cambridge Caprice bowl,
surrounded by a mix of sterling and crystal candle holders.
Dishes are Lenox Eternal and the clear ones in the first two tiers are vintage Federal, Heritage pattern.
The bottom ones are vintage, of unknown lineage, but pretty.

We served Golden Pineapple Punch in our sterling punch bowl--a gift from my MIL,
complete with ladle, platter, and lid. 
Have you seen many punch bowls with lids?  I haven't,
but it's quite old now, and perhaps it was something more common in the past.

We served the punch in our "vintage" ARBY's goblets (can you say "vintage" and "goblets"
in the same sentence as Arby's? :) ) 
I have many of the glasses, and our son found these at Goodwill recently
and wrapped them up as what he thought would be a funny gift--

ARE YOU KIDDING?!  They're PERFECT! 
Funny, when I set them out I actually admired how they glistened!  :)

~~~~~~We also served the BEST CAPPUCCINO HOT CHOCOLATE EVER,of course
topped with whipped cream from my iSi Cream Whipper
(to find out more about it see HERE)
Everyone raved and asked for the recipe.
Sadly, I forgot to take a picture.
I served them in old footed punch cups--very pretty. 

I wish you a happy, healthy 2012 with much to be thankful for.

Does your family celebrate the Epiphany?
Do the Three Kings visit your home and leave gifts?
If you do a celebration, I'd love to know about it,
and if you have posted pictures, please be sure to share them with me!
Thanks for stopping by.  Please leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them!  They encourage me and inspire me.  And if you like what you see a lot J, maybe you’d like to +1 this post too!  Thank you!

I will be joining these fun parties; please stop by to see all the great things there!
 House in Roses Show Off Your Cottage Monday at http://houseinroses.blogspot.com
 Amaze Me Monday at http://dittledattle.blogspot.com/
 Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple   
 Newbie Party on Monday at http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/
 Tabletop Tuesday at http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/ 
 Wow Us Wednesdays at http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/ 
 Open House Party Thursday http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com
 Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com
 Show and Tell Friday at http://romantichome.blogspot.com/

From my Chickadee Nest to yours~
    Zuni

36 comments:

  1. What a beautiful table, the star plate holder is wonderful! I have never seen a lidded punch bowl what a great piece.
    Your Nativities are beautiful!
    Looks like you had a wonderful celebration!
    Have a good Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My, what a beautiful celebration. It is really moving how your display your collectibles and then add scripture and meaning. I love how you did this. Your food looks delicious and perfect for the occasion.
    I'm visiting over from SS.
    Blessing to you in the New Year.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Zuni! I love your food presentation! ~Hugs, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful celebration, Zuni! No, I've NEVER seen (or heard of) a lidded punch bowl. What a treasure. Your tiered tablescape is lovely, and your kings are just gorgeous. The star stacker is perfect - and you were so smart to use a large plate on the bottom to make them all work. Why didn't I think of that? Of course, I'm glad you left Jesus as the focal point since He's both the recipient of the king's gifts -- and the Giver of all good gifts! Blessings in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love learning about the Three Kings celebration. Your tablscape is wonderful, too! i am off to read your archives now!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love the Three Kings tradition. It is such a lovely sentiment and carries so much meaning. Thank you for sharing your family's celebration. Your display of kings is so beautiful and unique. The Christ Child from Cuba is truly a beauty to behold and such a treasure.
    Blessings, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of the Three Kings Celebration before! Your tablescape is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing. BTW....I would love it if you would stop by and join our "Impossible Challenge."

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post, Zuni! It is so important to keep the tradition of celebrating the Three Kings going so that the little children understand. You did a wonderful job with your presentation here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zuni,

    I love this post so much! My sister, Reba, and I are new bloggers, too, and I am visiting from DebbieDoo's newbie party. My sister, Elsa, has a 3 kings set for her mantel and I want one for our new house. I posted about it here: http://re-inventedstyle.blogspot.com/2011/12/re-decorating-3-kings-mantel-great-tree.html

    They seem to be hard to find online and I live in Austin and doubt I will find one here. My husband commented how unusual it is to want a 3 Kings set and I told him that I didn't consider it unusual. It is only unusual for where we live. Seeing this post, I was like YES! This person gets it. I am not Cuban, though. My father was Mexican and we grew up along the border with Mexico. LOVED your party post. It turned out great. We are going to follow your blog now. :D

    Sincerely,
    Eldarose

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous presentation for the Three Kings! I love them too, the tradition prevales in Latin American countries and I did a post and something about this tradition too. Back to you: I love your table and the 3 Kings, so pretty and all the food is yummy! I also love that pretty three tier tree with star for the plates, fabulous! Your Baby Jesus from Cuba is adorable...I love Baby Jesus, specially now and I also love and pray to the Divino Niño. I also have a giveaway for my year of blogging, all you have to do is visit me and comment on it, you could follow me only if you wish...that's it! BLESSINGS FOR THIS NEW YEAR!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've never celebrate Three Kings Day here, but I love the thought of this special celebration and have a friend who celebrates like you do. I'm so happy to have found your beautiful blog. I look forward to following along this year. I have you on my sidebar so hopefully I'll not miss a post.
    Blessings for 2012 ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your celebration was wonderful. We've never had a Three Kings celebration. In fact, I'm not familiar with it. Thanks for showing me something new. Thanks for stopping by The 2 Seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so love your Three Kings tablescape. The star yes I saw it and it's beautiful. The star that holds that plate is fantastic too. Great photos thanks for sharing. And I am a new follower ^_^


    Kim, USA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your Three Kings Celebration. Your table looks is so pretty and cream cheese with pepper jelly is one of my favorites. Yum. Your punch bowl is gorgeous, too.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post! A very special party and the perfect table to go with it.I'm so happy you brought your post to Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    PS. I've never heard of a punch bowl with a lid, but hey, if it's sterling, what the heck?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this looks wonderful! My grandfather used to set up the Nativity without the Kings or Baby Jesus. Then on Christmas Day Baby Jesus would arrive and on Little Christmas the Kings would appear. My husband and I have been to a few Kings Day parties, but yours far outshines those. Your set up is AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great! I always find this celebration fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful celebration with your family. My father said that when he was growing up his family always celebrated what they called "Little Christmas" on Epiphany. We never did.....sadly, I guess it's become just another work and school day for us. I did leave my nativity set up until after Epiphany. But you've inspired me to start a new tradition with our grandgirls.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Martha. You've paid me the highest compliment--that my post would inspire you to start a new family tradition brings me such pleasure. Thank you. I'm not sure why the Epiphany has been lost by the majority of people here in the U.S., because we even have the 12 Days of Christmas song! Funny, we've always celebrated it, but for years I didn't know about the 12 Days and what they referred to! I'll look forward to your post next year! Thank you! ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its always a pleasure to hear how others celebrate the 12 days of Christmas and especially, the Epiphany! We always have a special bonfire/potluck celebration at our church but I've never done a Three Kings tablescape or dinner. After seeing your lovely meaningful centerpieces/accessories and delicious looking food, I would like to give it a try!
      Thanks so much for sharing this!

      DD

      Delete
  20. What a lovely tradition, I had never heard of it until this year. I had heard of 3 kings day,
    but really didn't know much about it, but I leave my decoration up until then anyway, and when
    I heard of 3 Kings day, I thought know wonder I like leaving them up so long. I am a believer too,
    and certainly love celebrating the birth of Jesus. Loved all your pretty nativity sets. and everything looks lovely, I might think about celebrating that myself next year.
    May you have a very blessed New year!
    Nice to meet you here in blogland,
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your Three Kings celebration is beautiful. The silver punch bowl is beautiful! With the lid, I think that it would be a magnificent centerpiece for one of your tablescapes. Thank you for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  22. Zuni, this is just WONDERFUL!! What a fantastic way to celebrate the Three Kings arrival! I love, love, LOVE your cake stand with wonderful high dome & that silver punch bowl is TDF! Gorgeous items....thanks for sharing them with us.

    fondly,
    Rett

    p.s. My Christmas tree is STILL up, because I can't carry it downstairs with my sore hand & foot. I'm thinking about decorating it with Valentines! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful Three Kings celebration, Zuni!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is the first time I've heard of the Epiphany celebration, but I LOVE the idea! Your decorations are gorgeous too! I think it's an excellent way for us to remember what Christmas is really all about. The craziness of the holiday and Santa is over and you can concentrate on remembering the birth of Jesus...thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely way to celebrate with your family. Everything is lovely. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful table and I love hearing about your Cuban traditions!!! Your buffet looks delicious and is set so beautifully. Your Arby's glasses are adorable...we have the snowy tree ones. I made my poor husband drive through a billion times til I had the number I wanted! Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  27. A beautiful post, love all the details, the story, etc! The Baby Jesus is so precious! I collect Nativities so especially like this one.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  28. Zuni, how wonderful your celebration looks!! Funny, but I have some "vintage" Long John Silvers glasses that are very similar to yours, and I love them! My mom gave them to me. I must say that I did not take one photo of our Los Tres Reyes Magos dinner:-( We had to do it on Thursday night because my girls were not here on Friday. The children really look forward to it every year, though. Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your 3 Kings celebration. I am from Miami so I know it well. Your nativity is beautiful.
    Lovely blog. I am a new follower!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, by the way we have a linky party as well and you are more than welcome to link up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I came from Cuba in 1969 and have always celebrated The Three Kings Day! This is such a small world! What a treat for your granddaughter to learn about this wonderful tradition! Our celebration, much like yours, is sort of an afternoon tea. We also serve hot chocolate and I put out "turrones" along with a variety of cookies and some "bocaditos." Your Three Kings decorations are beautiful! You might want to check out Fontanini's figurines and the stories which accompany every figurine, giving details of their role in the Nativity scene. According to them, Melchior brought Gold, Gaspar brought Frankincense, and Balthazar brought Myrrh. These stories are really beautiful! I have now become a follower and can't wait for your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a wonderful story behind your baby Jesus figurine! I know you treasure it highly. I really enjoyed reading your post about your family celebration of this holiday. The food looked wonderful, and those Arby's glasses are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  33. We host an Epiphany Party every year - I adore all your decorations, especially your baby Jesus - I am pinning this for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Zuni~ Love your Three Kings celebration & table! I know you treasure you baby Jesus under the star! Thanks for sharing your tradition with us!

    ReplyDelete
  35. That was a beautiful table for a wonderful celebration! I think it is so nice that you continue this tradition. I happen to have cashews and craisins so just got some and it iS a good combo! Thanks!!! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips