Monday, March 4, 2013

Blue and White in the Old/New China Cabinet

I was ready to be done with the Valentine’s red in the china cabinet and go to the more serene and perennial favorite, BLUE AND WHITE.  I’ve also been ready—for a long, long, long time—to make a major change in our china cabinet.  I mean for YEARS.  So after having gone to the Pine Tree Barn for our Valentine dinner, and once again seeing a cabinet/hutch there that I love (see below), I decided that the time had come to take the plunge and give the china cabinet an ALLOVER MAKEOVER.

2012-11-24_15-51-53_475 I’ve been in love with this piece since I saw it last Christmas season.  I love that it’s open, and I love the blue, distressed interior.  It seems like everything displayed in it just pops—even the reds and greens of Christmas.

Lo and behold, when we went to the Pine Tree Barn, the cabinet was still there.  The next day I said (in my sweetest voice), “Sweetheart, could you take a look at the china cabinet to see if we could remove the doors (and the stationary center panel)?”  And before I knew it, I had a new piece of furniture!  Really!  Take a look for yourself and see the incredible difference!  Why, oh why, didn’t I do this years ago like I’ve wanted to?!

So we went from this:

DSCN6809 Beautiful, arched doors and stationary center panel, with lovely “domed” glass,

To this:

DSCN7022 No doors, no arches, no domed glass.  Ahhhh….so much more open and “approachable.”  I had never been able to “make peace” with the stand-offish feeling of the glass, as if to warn, “LOOK BUT DON’T TOUCH; NOT TO BE USED!  ONLY FOR DISPLAY.” 

What do you think?  A new piece of furniture?  More approachable?

And to the BLUE AND WHITE ~

Like I said, I’m not ready for Easter…I need space/time between holidays.  I guess I could never work in retail.  The jumping into holidays weeks and months before the calendar says they’re here, and jumping from one holiday to the next would wreak havoc with my psyche!  I need a calendar, and I need breaks.

So I was anxious to bring out my BLUE AND WHITE Spode “The Blue Room Collection,” mixed with Bianca Leaf by American Pelier—a fabulous Home Goods find.

DSCN7009 A very vintage mustard pot holds my “vintage” hydrangeas from last summer that I love to have out on display.  A bird’s nest brings a hint of spring without stripping my gears as the gray days of Ohio linger and the snow continues to fly.

DSCN7012 Hydrangea blooms take the place of soon-to-come robin’s-egg blue eggs.

DSCN7011 My beloved Nicodemus chubby robin, and others birdies, are harbingers of {wonderful} things to come—in a few months.

DSCN7010 The Bombay Company candleholder (left) once again makes an appearance, along with mini cups (larger than a traditional demitasse), which are a new auction find.

DSCN7018 This precious little teapot was a gift from my precious friend Cookie, and the bunny is another Nicodemus piece.  The hydrangeas are real, dried from my SIL’s father’s garden.

DSCN7008 And this bunny…well, I guess we’re inching toward spring and Easter—putting a toe out there, in a subdued way, shall we say?  He’s of no particular pedigree—he’s completely unmarked, but I’d fallen in love with him at a local store, Harick’s, and after a particularly fruitful shopping spree there with our friends from out of town, the owner offered him to me for a steal.  I just couldn’t wait any longer to bring him out!

DSCN7016 Pears, the color of the hydrangeas, also bring a touch of spring, in the Simplydesignz dish from our son and DIL.

So I need your help.  Now that I’m head over heels with my “new” china cabinet, I’m thinking about painting the inside.  But I’m soooo scared!!!  What do you think?  Yes???  No???

If yes, what color?  White?  Cream? Very light teal (my favorite color, but may be too limiting)?  Blue like Pine Tree Barn’s??

I can’t wait to hear from you and get help from all of you super-talented decorators out there!  :)

~~~~~~~~

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you’ll leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I love them and read every single one of them! And if you like what you see a lot, maybe you’d like to +1 this post or pin it on Pinterest too! Thank you! I invite you to follow me. If you’ll let me know that you’re following, I’ll be sure to follow you back. 

Here’s where I’m going to party this week:

Thursdays at Tabletop Thursday: http://betweennapsontheporch.net/

Thursdays at Home Sweet Home: http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

Thursdays at No Minimalist Here: http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com/

Transformation Thursdays at http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/

Be Inspired Friday at http://www.Commonground-do.com/

Fridays at Feathered Nest: http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/

Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com

Sundays at The Tablescaper: http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/

Mop it Up Monday at http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com

Metamorphosis Monday at http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/

Tuesdays at http://www.astrollthrulife.net/

Wednesdays at Let’s Dish: http://www.cuisinekathleen.com/

Wednesdays at Wow Us: http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/

From my nest to yours, ~Zuni

18 comments:

  1. The cabinet looks wonderful, and very charming!!! Good idea to take off the doors and center panel. It looks like a very good piece of furniture and I would hesitate to paint the back......I know it's all the rage now but really, don't ruin a good piece of furniture. The back panel looks like tongue and groove or ship lap paneling. How about fabric covered board to inset or painted board to insert and those can easily be removed later.....??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zuni! I love what you have done with the cabinet! I have always liked having a open space at the top - more like a hutch. The pieces that you have chosen to display are lovely - I am madly in love with that cute bunny!! I am sure there are people who are better at decorating, than I. I had a piece in my kitchen that was very much like this, but more primitive and the back had been stained a light neutral color, when it was built. When I redid my kitchen a few years ago, I had a much larger and more formal piece built into the space where the hutch had been. The back is stained the same wood color, as the cabinets. I loved them both - I am a Gemini - what can I say - lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pretty blue and white and so beautifully displayed in your hutch. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zuni! Congratulations on your new cabinet!!! This is terrific! I just know you have been having the BEST time getting it all decked out! I love it! I know what you mean about the closed doors. The only good thing about them is that they keep some of the dust out and off the stuff. Other than that, I MUCH prefer to have open shelving. I would have all open shelving in my kitchen if it wasn't for the dust and grease that floats in the air and builds up on your stuff over time. It would FORCE me to keep everything straightened out and pristine in those cabinets!!! :-)

    Your blue & white dishes look great on display!!! I love all the accessories you have included!

    I imagine we'll start to see our first robins around here in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to it! I hope Spring gets to you soon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hutch is beautiful. Love you blue and white...everything looks so pretty!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zuni, Oh my, what a difference. Absolutely amazing. Have you seen some the blogs where they used scrapbook paper or wrapping paper in the back of the china cabinet. That way, you could try out the look without making a big commitment and you could change it depending on the season and your decor. I just thinks it's such a clever idea. Your blue and white dishes are just beautiful. I have to go back for another look! Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zuni, your "new" china cabinet is so welcoming! I love what you and your sweet hubby accomplished, and the blue and white is ALWAYS such a classic. I know you're going to enjoy this change!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'm loving your new "approachable" china cabinet piece..and yes it is! The displays are beautiful and the blue and white dishes are simply gorgeous!! What fun it must've been to start displaying your lovelies my friend..that's usually the best part of everything we do..decking things out and you did a great job!! Thanks for your"hermosa visita"...siempre me hace feliz!! Mil abrazos!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your open display. The blue and white Spodes are really pretty....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zuni! The transformation is spectacular! I don't think I'm brave enough to have attempted it. You now have a really awesome display cabinet. I love you selection of blue and white! Those stacked tea cups and saucers are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zuni, the blue and white Spodes are so pretty , love the sweet touches of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so ready for spring! Gorgeous blue and white dishes...and that bunny is just adorable. I have a china cabinet so like yours...I may take the doors off and paint the whole thing to update it. I really like that shade of blue...everything goes with a blue sky, so why not a blue background of a china cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a difference. I like the change and the blue and white is so pretty. Perfect look for spring. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Your hutch looks totally different. I like it! I adore blue and white. It is so calming and fresh looking. Love your bunny! Spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your hutch looks so pretty! Blue and white is so crisp. You are ready for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful! Love the blue and white!

    Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Zuni, Your hutch looks beautiful and I love the blue and white Spode dishes.
    xx, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  18. Zuni, I missed this one. Blue and white our favorite. I love what you did with the hutch. Did you decide what to do with the back. I was going to suggest the fabric on a removable panel or paint on a panel like someone else suggested. Your bunny is so adorable. I guess the proprietor appreciated the sales you were bringing him.
    I am thinking of doing something with the back of my secretary. I know it will blue, duh! You already knew that. I hope you are doing well.
    Love to you, Ginger

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips