Saturday, March 9, 2013

Spring, Are You There???

After Valentine’s Day I was ready to move to blue and white.  Last week’s post was of the old/new china cabinet, filled with blue and white and very few contrasting touches (HERE).  It’s not spring here in central Ohio—in fact, we’re expecting up to SIX INCHES of snow tonight!  So to add splashes of yellows, or oranges, or purple would wreak havoc with my senses!

It took me several days and a few hours of bliss on Pinterest and in blogland to figure out what to do with the dining room table.  No bare tables around here!!  It had to be CALM…preferably blue and white…interesting (not just one thing on it)…. Besides spending happy hours admiring others’ creativity on Pinterest or blogs, those visits help me to remember things I have that I could use.  Do you do that?  Do you forget you have something until you see something similar out there?  That’s a great plus for me!

So, following my home-shopping list I’d made from my virtual trips I settled on a vintage linen runner and a vintage silver tray as the foundation ~

DSCN6976I love how decorating develops and evolves!  I remembered this blue and white tureen that usually sits in the secretary, and the blue and white embroidered bun cozy that I had just put in a “to sell” stack…I think I’ll keep it!  It’s more versatile than I’d thought.  Rather than set the tureen directly on the cozy, I layered the look with a cobalt blue dish and added a sprig of dried blue hydrangea.  It was coming together!

DSCN6992Peaceful.

DSCN6979 If you’ve been visiting Chickadee Home Nest for any time at all you know of my weakness for vintage linens.  This piece is actually an oval doily that I added for softness and romance.  And did you notice the rope/nautical detail on the tureen handles?  I love that juxtaposition on it—soft, dainty blue and white, with light orange “rope”!  I bought it at a garage sale years and years ago, with a chip on the edge of the lid, but that’s okay with me—it’s vintage!  Of course it’s going to show some evidence of having been used!

DSCN6997 I have the full tea service of this blue and white Bombay Company pattern, but I always forget about it.  The sugar bowl, because of the silver trim on the lid, seemed just right, and rather than pair it with its matching creamer, I used this darling, long-handled silver “server” for the cream.  Dried hydrangeas the color of the pears on the china cabinet continue to coordinate the look between the china cabinet and the table.

DSCN6987 Do you know what this “server” is/what it would’ve been used for?  I’m nuts about it, but have never seen one before.  I keep thinking drawn butter, and that it probably had its own heating stand.  What do you think it is?

DSCN6989 Notice how worn the finish on the handle is…this sweet thing was actually used in a home!  I thought about “fixing” it for about 15 seconds.

DSCN6990

Blue and white candlesticks, to s-t-r-e-t-c-h the vignette beyond the silver tray, coupled with…

DSCN6984 …tea bag holders from Bombay.

DSCN7002 This precious hydrangea bloom just happened to fall and grace my vignette.  It’s still there!

And then, before my post was up (I’ve had a few problems with Google 2-step verification and Live Writer not liking each other)…spring began its annual tease – a warm, sunny day and Whole Foods’ fabulous Friday sale of 30 tulips for $10!!! 

Tell me, who could resist that?!  I’ve never had 30 tulips around the house at one time!

DSCN7032

DSCN7035 Tulips and a sunny day in early March gives us hope that SPRING will come.

2013-03-09_07-40-03_460

2013-03-09_07-40-30_22

2013-03-09_07-40-41_579

DSCN7030 Hope SPRINGs Eternal.  Winking

(My Lenox Eternal coffee server.)

Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you’ll leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them! And if you like what you see a lot, maybe you’d like to +1 this post or pin it on Pinterest too! Thank you!

I invite you to follow me. If you’ll let me know that you’re following, I’ll be sure to follow you back.

I’m joining these fun parties this week:

Sundays at The Tablescaper: http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/

Mop it Up Monday at http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com

Metamorphosis Monday at http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/

Tuesdays at http://www.astrollthrulife.net/

Wednesdays at Let’s Dish: http://www.cuisinekathleen.com/

Wednesdays at Wow Us: http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/

Thursdays at Tabletop Thursday: http://betweennapsontheporch.net/

Thursdays at Home Sweet Home: http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

Thursdays at No Minimalist Here: http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com/

Transformation Thursdays at http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/

Be Inspired Friday at http://www.Commonground-do.com/

Fridays at Feathered Nest: http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/

Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com

From my nest to yours~

Zuni

20 comments:

  1. Don't you love blue and white? It is so pretty with just about any pop of color. And it looks so pretty with your silver pieces too. :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happened to go to Whole Foods on Friday and saw the tulip sale too! Tulips weren't in my plan that day but of course I swooped some up! And I agree, I have never had so many to play with either! I had a grand time and my house looks like a party! I love all your blue and white, and the worn handle of the silver server...must have been for some kind of sauce...
    Thanks! visiting from the Tablescaper
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your setting shows that hope of Spring, Zuni! Love your blue and white pieces. What a great deal on tulips. I am so glad that the snow is melting now. I took a walk yesterday afternoon {dodging puddles} and it felt good to be out. Today is to hit 60! A virtual heat wave at this point. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Zuni! This is just lovely! Every detail is so well thought-out. That tureen is just gorgeous and I adore your candlesticks. Actually, I do own a server very similar to the one you displayed. I have always thought it was some sort of sauce server, but it could be for butter. Mine has a strainer on the end that pours, but it does have the long black handle. Hope spring arrives there soon - we have been having some unnaturally cold weather here, but I think it is almost gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zuni, This is awesome. I love every inch of it. You know I love the blue and white and the tulips are awesome. We can't grow tulips here, doesn't get cold enough. We are getting a Whole Foods soon so I will watch for their Friday sales.
    Not sure what the little lipped pot is but I got a similar item with a set of pots and pans, once. It was not as lovely as yours, more utilitarian but same shape. I use it for sauces, melting butter and chocolate sauce. Who knows I may be using it incorrectly.
    I absolutely adore the soup tureen and the handles are just fabulous. You certainly put together a beautiful vignette.
    Have a great week, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK...you're going to have to imagine me waving my finger back & forth and cranking my head for this. You ready? OK...."Oh, NO you DIDN'T!!!" :-) If you would have sold that beautiful tureen and I found out about it, I would have had to send you to the corner!!! It's pretty, it's perfect for the vignette you set (those hours on the computer paid off!), and it's something that can be useful for SO many things in the future!!!!!!! I'm going to pin this! So ha! Take that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zuni, your first pic is absolutely gorgeous! The sunlight ... and linens ... and blue and white. Absolutely stunning! Just yesterday I was looking for something I think I must've sold while downsizing. It was perfect for what I wanted, but I never could find it. :-( Oh, well, I'm glad you rescued your pretty from the "to sell" pile so you could share it with us! BTW, I don't remember the exact date, but you should be talking "first birthday" in your family, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, my sweet Chikadee!
    I love your images and all your gorgeous blue and white,the tureen is a swoon!.. the tulips and with such beautiful additions like your linens. You have an amazing collection of silver too. I love this post. Happy St. Pat's week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, love the blue and white.

    Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your table is so serene and fresh - just lovely for spring! And the tulips at that price????? Wow! Wish I had a Whole Foods near by :( Hope you visit the enchanted oven.
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow...pinterest really worked well!
    I love blues, always have always will.
    Your table is simply gorgeous!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a sheer delight visiting your nest Zuni,
    So peaceful and relaxed. The blues and crisp white cooled me from these high temperatures that
    we are experiencing here in Melbourne.
    I think my favourite piece has to be the tea bag holder. I'm such a tea addict!
    I certainly wouldn't be able to resist those tulips either...they are gorgeous.
    Have a wonderful week :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. just gorgeous! so very very pretty...and flowers make every spacer happier...especially for $10!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    thin spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your tablescape. Blue and white accented with silver pieces is so stunning. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved your blue and white tablescape with silver accents. Beautiful. Thank you for showing the detail on the handles of the tureen. I'm loving orange lately. Of course with the tulips added, spring was in the air. Can't wait to see whats coming next.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Zuni - I'm your post neighbor today! How fun! Your blog title made me smile. Here in Chicago I'm asking myself the same thing: Where the heck is Spring??? I'm done with winter now! I love that doily, it's gorgeous, and the blue is wonderfully calming. Lovely table!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love that little server, butter, I am sure you are right, a warm vanilla sauce for the top of a souffle...the dishes are beautiful ...I love the way it all goes together so beautifully and I cannot believe such a deal on the tulips...just checked and I am not a follower of yours, I am now your newest follower so I will be back again and see what you are up to...love your table..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your vignette is gorgeous! I immediately honed in on the tureen...the handles are gorgeous! And the linen...stunning! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your blue and white vignette; it's gorgeous. I have a collection of Bombay Co blue and white, too. Blue and white is so versatile. After seeing your blue and white vignette, I must hunt for other pieces to mix and match, too. The tureen is ar real beauty.

    All the Best,

    Requi @ Tablescaping Escapades

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi lovely lady.
    I also love blue and white together for a tablescape. It is so pretty with just a pop of color from the Tulips. And it looks so pretty with your silver pieces too. You did a gorgeous job putting this all together. I hope you have a wonderful Easter with your family.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips