Monday, January 30, 2012

Felt Valentine Hearts

Before the world opened up and blogging came into my life, I was always dabbling and finding things to do--crafts, tablescapes, gardening...anything to keep myself busy with things I enjoyed.

During one of those times I decided to make a Valentine tree by making simple, country felt hearts.  I suppose I used a pattern to cut the hearts out, but that's certainly not necessary...it was truly a freehand project to use what I had on hand.

This is an umbrella stand next to the piano, where we have
those kinda new lighted twig things and some real curly willow twigs.
I added the hearts to the twigs to create our
Valentine tree this year.

I wanted them to look VERY :) handmade-looking, almost childlike, like old samplers.
Then I stuffed them with batting.

For some, like the white one, I used beading on the heart itself, and for some
I used beads to hold the ribbon or tulle hanger.




I also used them on the table, accompanied by baubles that speak to
the ROMANCE of Valentine's Day, and of course
a Cherub--or is he Cupid?  Where is his arrow?!
"He" is so special to our family...
My dear grandmother brought him back from Italy probably 35 years ago,
and my mother gave him to me to use for our first grandbaby's baptism
(see the picture below)


We hosted the reception at our home, and though this picture is blurry, I wanted
to share how we used "him" for her baptism.
The cards are memory cards I made.  It's a Cuban tradition for baptisms
to give these cards, with the baby's and his/her parents' and godparents' names, the date and
church where the baptism was held, etc., to the guests as mementos.






My love of roses extends to when they get to the "vintage" stage--aren't women like roses? As they we age,
don't we get more beautiful, albeit it in a less traditional way?
I used them for an earlier post, Romantic Vintage Table HERE .

My first china cabinet of the year was simple and "peaceful," HERE -- my post-Christmas senses
just needed a little break--but now, color is creeping back into my decorating.
Wishing you a happy Valentine's Day, filled with LOVE.
  Thanks for stopping by.  Please leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them!  They encourage me and inspire me.  And if you like what you see a lot J, maybe you’d like to +1 this post too!  Thank you!

I will be joining these fun parties; please stop by to see all the great things there!
House in Roses Show Off Your Cottage Monday at http://houseinroses.blogspot.com/
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple   
Newbie Party on Monday at http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/
Open House Party Thursday http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com/
Transformation Thursdays at The Shabby Creek Cottage
Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com/
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Show and Tell Friday at http://romantichome.blogspot.com/
Home Sweet Home Friday at The Charm of Home
Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints on the Fridge
Cheap Crafty Mama at www.cheapcraftymama.com 
Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors

Wishing you love on Valentine's Day and always,
from my Chickadee Nest to yours~
    Zuni

41 comments:

  1. There's obviously masses of Cupid's arrows flying all over your home...how romantic.
    I love the idea of the Valentine tree but when we moved into this house my umberella stand broke :(
    I'll have to come up with another idea for the holder.
    Happy Valentine's Day to you and 'He' x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Neesie. Thanks for stopping by. I use my umbrella stand because it's there, ready, with the twigs, but I've also thought about cutting some twigs and spray-painting them white and putting them in plaster of Paris. I just like a place to do seasonal things. Yep, the arrows are a'flying around here...and now that we have the little grands around, that inspire a lot of the fun stuff. :) Happy V-Day to you too!

      Delete
    2. Hi Zuni, I've popped back to hopefully give you some good news...
      I received the Liebster Blog Award yesterday and I've been asked to pass on the Award to five other bloggers. I chose you for one of my five! :D
      I hope you will visit my blog to find out the details....xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh, those felt hearts are soo sweet!
    A few blog friends and I are hosting our first link party tomorrow to finish off the Imagine the Impossibilities Challenge, we go live at 7amET. Today I revealed my project for the challenge, a gallery wall with only one screw in the wall. It would be great if you have a chance to check it out and link up! http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/the-one-screw-gallery-wall-is-here/
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog = your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Karah. Thanks for visiting, for the invitation (I'll be right over!), and for following! I love followers--I promise to work hard to make your visits worthwhile :). ~Zuni

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for joining our Impossibilities challenge! That Valentine's tree with your felt hearts and twinkle lights are lovely!

      Linda
      itallstartedwithpaint@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. The felt hearts are adorable but I really love the little cards you made for the baptism! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cindy. Thanks for stopping by. My next plan is to make more hearts, with other fabrics and maybe some lace, etc.--a little fancier. The baptismal cards were real special. They can be ordered, but the real ones are very specific and pricey, and frankly, we were kind of out of time, so mine were a make-do that turned out pretty well. I used a vellum overlay and tied the two layers with a pretty ribbon and a pretty little cross. Let me know if you'd like to see a sample. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Your hearts look great, Zuni, and I love them hanging on the branches like that. I had fun with hearts this year, too. Plus it helped me use up some of the fabric that just seems to keep multiplying! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathy. Did you share your hearts? I'd love to see them, because I'm thinking that I'd like to make fancier ones soon. One of the reasons I went this route is because I don't have a sewing machine...I think I'm getting to the point that I might need a simple one. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Your little felt hearts are so sweet and attaching them to the lighted twigs is neat. Love the little unexpected pop of color with the little vase in your china cabinet, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Babs. Funny, I thought the same thing about the "pop of color"--and liked it.

      Delete
  6. The hearts are so pretty...I like the way that you used them to create a Valentine Tree ~ very nice. It all comes together in such a lovely way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for visiting. It's a simple way to get in the heart spirit! :)

      Delete
  7. I love your felt hearts -- what nice ways you have to display your hearts and little things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! Girls gotta play house, don't we? Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Congrats Zuni, you have won my winter watercolor card giveaway, please send my your mailing address and I will send them out to you. Thanks, Kathi
    Your valentine decorations are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yipppeeee!!! I'm so excited!! Your cards are beautiful, Kathi! Thank you!! And thanks for stopping by to visit with my felt hearts. :) Thank you!!!

      Delete
  9. Your felt hearts are so cute, each one unique!
    Bet that tree lights up these cold nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathleen. Like I said, I made these hearts several years ago, but between blogging and grandbabies, I find that putting things out for the "lesser" holidays is so much fun, and YOU are part of the inspiration! Thank YOU!

      Delete
  10. Love the felt hearts and your vignettes are so pretty. Gorgeous dried roses. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank YOU, Marty, for hosting and giving us a way to get our projects out there! Always fun to join your party. Thanks!

      Delete
  11. I really like the "handmade" look of the hearts, Zuni! They remind me of the innocence of the heart. That is a beautiful Cupid, too. I love the floral garland he holds. I guess he figures that since he doesn't have a bow & arrow that he can just lasso hearts with the garland! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess he's too sweet to have bow and arrow....flowers are far better :). Thanks for visiting, Alycia!

      Delete
  12. Sweet hearts, Zuni! ♥ Luv the simplicity and the unique shape of them. :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Laurie. I'm glad you liked them. They were so simple that it was one of those easy, entertaining projects.

      Delete
  13. Glad you found the party with the direct link! Thanks so much for linking up! Karah

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cute, love your hearts and tree especially! I would love it if you would link up to my Valentines Party at www.cheapcraftymama.com!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So festive!! Love your grandmother's cherub too! Thanks for linking to our Impossibilities Challenge - following you.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such pretty items, Zuni...you are so lucky to have the treasured heirloom cherub! He's beautiful & I liked learning about the use of Baptism mementos for the guests. Perfect for a Bible bookmark!

    Your handmade hearts will become the same treasured heirlooms to your grandchildren. I can't think of a single handmade thing from my grandmother, although I remember that she did embroidery on pillowcases & such. Nobody saved anything for me. :-(

    I saw where you own the same Chickadee plates that match my winning teapot & dishes from Mary! How cool is that? I immediately thought of you & your sweet blog when I saw them.

    Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love the felt hearts. They look so whimsical, folksy and innocent! Hanging them on a tree is a wonderful way to display them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Valentine decor is charming! Thank you for sharing your wonderful post at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. HI Zuni~ Love your sweet felt hearts! Your cherub that is associated with such sweet memories is perfect for your Valentine's Day decor! Wishing you lots of hearts, flowers & love on Valentine's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm loving your cherub, it's so pretty and along with sweet memeories, just right for the Feb. lovers month. I love all your decorations for Valentine's, specially the tree with all your "naive"looking hearts, they're so warm and remind me of past, simple times. Thank you for your sweet and kind visit...yeah, it does look like chickadees on the teacups, they have 2 different birds on them. Have a sweet Sunday and a very lovable Valentines.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  21. The felt hearts are so sweet and the cherub is fabulous. I love how you've added a touch of romance vignettes around your home and the sweet memory cards are lovely.
    Have a wonderful Valentine's Day.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Zuni,
    I just love your Valentine's Day tree. Such a sweet idea. And the cute little cherub that was handed down to you is just beautiful. How very special that it was your grandmother's. I love these kinds of family treasures...The sentimental value is priceless. Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful Sunday.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  23. Zuni, your felt hearts are delightful. Love that you used the branches to hang them. The sweet cherub is a special keepsake. I love having family things to use and enjoy. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  24. Heart shape of all creations are look so great.It all hang on the artificial trees.I really like this creations.All different things are look so beautiful and wonderful.It's look mind blowing.

    free lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, the felt hearts are adorable! I love the whole tree. And your other vignettes arre so pretty! Thank you for joining TTF last week! I hope you are having a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your hearts! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips