Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Respite for Our Weary Senses

Ahh....the holidays.  How we love the colors, the decorating and bringing out our favorite decorations that we haven't seen for almost a year, the family times!  In our case, we enjoy it all AMPLY--well into January, as a matter of fact, since we celebrate the Epiphany, or the visit of the Three Kings (see post HERE).

By the time we put the riot of color and decorations away, and we vacuum up the needles and dust where we hadn't really been able to dust, I am ready for a REST for my weary eyes. 

Perhaps that is why January is...
to give us time to SLOW DOWN,
and to renew our spirits in QUIET

Perhaps these shorter days, when twilight still arrives earlier than we expect it, are yet another GIFT of the season...to help us enjoy the warm cocoon of our NEST.

So, with a blank slate and a desire for quiet, I transformed our china cabite from THIS to this:  A CALM VIGNETTE--no color (well, just a little, later).  Only silver and crystal.

In keeping with the design...not many words going forward, and the few there are,
are whispered.

Quiet...
Peaceful...

Even the very top is
QUIET...
as compared to the Christmas cabinet (HERE)






Then I added...a teensy, weensy bit of color...

Tell me, do you, too, feel like you can't quite decide what you like best--color? No color? Lots of decorations? Simplicity?  Are you a decorating EXTROVERT or INTROVERT?  Or...are you BOTH,
like I am?

I will be joining these fun parties; please stop by to see all the great things there!

House in Roses Show Off Your Cottage Monday at http://houseinroses.blogspot.com
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple   
Newbie Party on Monday at http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/
Open House Party Thursday http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com
Transformation Thursdays at The Shabby Creek Cottage
Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com/
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Show and Tell Friday at http://romantichome.blogspot.com/
Home Sweet Home Friday at The Charm of Home
Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints on the Fridge
Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors
Weekend Wrap-up Party at Tatertots and Jello
From my Chickadee Nest to yours~
    Zuni

26 comments:

  1. Beautiful Zuni! Even though your china cabinet is sparkly clear & clean, your silver & crystal GLOW! Enjoy the quiet & your cocooning in your nest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zuni it all looks beautiful and i guess great minds think alike! Thanx for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I love your cabinet. Thanks for linking up to my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got some lovely silver pieces, Zuni! I've basically gone back to my pre-Christmas set up, which is fairly calming and neutral now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm shooting for more neutrals and simplicity! I think it all has to do with my de-cluttering projects. LOL I think I like seeing your crystal and silver so simply arranged in the china, Zuni. :-) Oh, so sorry that I didn't get back to you on the chile question. The green Hatch chile is difficult to find out here in the canned version or frozen. Occasionally I'll run into it at Jungle Jim's. But fresh is the best and it comes into season in Sept. I have it sent to me from NM and I roast and peel it before I freeze it. Oh it has the best flavor! Stay dry! It is pouring here and the creek out back is overflowing, once again. Why can't it just snow a little instead? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, good!! Good to know I'm not the only one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Zuni,
    I love glasses or crystals in natural colours. I seldom buy with colours.

    Your dinner plates are absolutely gorgeous. I have a set of 8. Love them.

    Have a great w/end.

    Greetings from Stockholm,
    /chie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I have a few sets of goblets that are colored, but I really like the look of crisp, clear crystal too. I've noticed recently that Pottery Barn and others only have clear now, although several years back my husband bought me red ones (I DO love those!) at Pottery Barn. New trend???? Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. I love the photo of the chickadee in your header Zuni, he looks so majestic!
    You're cabinet looks great... but can't help thinking there's an awful lot
    of cleaning, polishing etc there...but worth it of course ;)

    It was great to see you on my blog and thanks for stopping by ~ I'll be sure to check out your earlier posts soon.
    Have a fun day :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Neesie. You made me laugh with the cleaning comment, because I'm one of those crazy people who likes to polish silver--it's kind of a Zen thing for me, with instant gratification. Love it when it's nice and shiny. And actually, I don't have to do it very often. Since I re-create my china cabinet pretty often that gives me the opportunity to clean it as well. Just playing house in my nest! :)

      Delete
  9. Silver and crystal...definitely my kind of quiet. Thank you for inviting us for a peak at your lovely cabinet filled with treasures. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful cabinet with so many treasures. I adore all of your silver. Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog -- I'm happy to be back now after a long time away from blogging. Off to see more of what you've been up to!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to have you back, Jenny! And thanks for stopping by. I know you love your china cabinet too...What a great place to play, right?!

      Delete
  11. such beautiful treasures, and I'm sure each one has a special story ~ I totally agree about the need for rest & simplicity after all the beauties of Christmas. I believe the Lord knew exactly what He was doing when He gave us the seasons, beauty in all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Karen. Thanks for stopping by. I think this year is the first year I've figured out why January "exists." I've never liked it much before, but now I get it. Pretty awesome.

      Delete
  12. You really have quieted the space, Zuni, and it's beautiful! I love all the decorations during the Christmas season, but after that I just want peaceful in most rooms. I think it helps us to get ready for the newness of Spring and the hustle bustle of Summer, as well as to just clear our heads a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can say a resounding YES to your questions at the end. I'm like the little pendulum that could... I'm really in a neutral kick these days, but then I see a blog where the person uses color well, and I second guess myself and want color. One minute I want it simple, and then...again... I see a blog where they pull of the abundance look beautifully and I'm indecisive again. I think I should stop reading blogs!

    I'm definitely a decorating introvert.

    Now that I have that off my chest... I love your cabinet and wish that I had your treasures and your eye for display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good...I'm not the only one who gets her head turned with every beautiful post I see! LOL. That's one of the reasons to blog--to find like-minded souls. :) And judging from that lovely buttery-yellow table, it looks to me like you have lots of lovelies to enjoy! Thanks for visiting and joining the pendulum club!

      Delete
  14. Hi Zuni, Thanks for your visit! I am a big fan of shiny stuff so I'm loving your cabinet. Who needs color when you have bling? I like both though, just as I love all the neutral farmhouse decor that is popular now as well as cottage, a little country and traditional. So much inspiration out there, who can settle on just one style?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Zuni you have a marvelous collection! Your Spanish is outstanding, thanks for your lovely comment. I'm your new follower too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I am more of an extrovert decorater:) I love my STUFF!!! And I ADORE the color and sparkle os Christmas decorating. The rest of the year it is pretty calm, colorwise around here. I hope your brother finds some antlers for you!!!!!!!!!!!! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely! Thank you for sharing your wonderful post at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks beautiful. The perfect feel of quietness for winter in the silvers and glasses. It is very calming. Thank you for joining TTF and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too collect the Heritage Depression glass. When my Mom passed away over 30 years ago, I found 3 or 4 cups and saucers. I started looking for matching pieces. They have been a lot harder to find then some other patterns, but I love them. I like how you have displayed them, so I may have to bring mine out and see if I have enough for a pretty display. Thanks for sharing your winter beauties.

    Jocelyn @
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips