Tuesday, December 6, 2011

China Cabinet Metamorphosis to Christmas

One of my favorite things to do while playing house is to change the china cabinet.  Now that it's December, it's time to shift from the fall decorations (HERE) to Christmas.  But this year I had special reason to get it done, and here it is!

Chickadee dishes!!

I had been thinking about "winter" dishes (I already have the Lenox Holiday china--that's another post :) )
but I felt like "we" needed casual winter dishes (now, do you think the other half of "we" thought we needed more dishes?) While at TJ Maxx recently I spotted ONE little bowl waaayyy under a display of pots and pans (I think--I was too excited to notice!).  I scoured the store
for the rest, but only found one more bowl
and
a prize:
These chubby guys--salt & pepper shakers.
They needed a home, and don't you think
Chickadee Home Nest
is the perfect place for them?
I LOVE the hunt Can I find what I need?
The happy answer, after many calls for a couple of days, is
YES!!! 

So here is the transformation, from fall to Christmas.


I didn't want to go too fancy; I wanted a woodland, casual feel, so I gathered lots of natural elements:
nests, pinecones (okay, some are silver and glittery), a grapevine sleigh my youngest son bought
for "Mommy" when he was very young.
But I also wanted contrast, so I added reds and whites, and silver, to complement the colors of the dishes.



I made this centerpiece several years ago, but it usually goes on the piano or the dining room table.  I'd never
used it on the china cabinet, but it seemed the perfect addition to the chickadee/nature scene.

And guess who made himself right at home, right out of the Christmas decorations?
The pinecones are lit with the nifty battery-operated LED lights with a timer that I wrote
about HERE.
Let's peak inside for some of the details.
PB goblets from a couple of years ago.


You might recognize the arrangement in the red votive.  It's one of two that I made last Christmas.
I used the other one in my Pomander Tutorial (HERE).
The sweet nest is a gift from DH.  He put it in the tree a few Christmases ago with
a very special gift in it.

The silver Revere bowl holds a PB candle that I'll probably never burn--do you do that too?  Buy a candle and not burn it because it's too pretty? 
Next to it is another favorite Christmas decoration:
One of my real goose feather trees.
And here they are again.  Can you see that the rim is raised and nubby and textured like a real branch?
My crystal trees were a gift from my mother many years ago.  Love and cherish them too.




Thanks for stopping by.  Please leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them!  They encourage me and inspire me.  And if you like what you see a lot J, maybe you’d like to +1 this post too!  Thank you!

I will be joining these fun parties; please stop by to see all the great things there!

 Amaze Me Monday at http://dittledattle.blogspot.com/
 Motivated Monday at http://becolorful.typepad.com/  
 Newbie Party on Monday at http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/
 Tabletop Tuesday at http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/ 
 Wow Us Wednesdays at http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/ 
 Open House Party Thursday http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com
 Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com
 Show and Tell Friday at http://romantichome.blogspot.com/
 Five Minutes Just for Me at http://5minutesjustforme.blogspot.com
 The Lettered Cottage at http://theletteredcottage.net/

16 comments:

  1. Hi Zuni...

    My friend, your Christmas china cabinet looks gorgeous! Ohhh...I just adore your new "Chickadee" dishes! They really are beautiful...dishes that I would have picked up if I had seen them as well! I sooo enjoyed getting to see all of your Christmas pretties, dear lady! Thank you for sharing them with us!

    Warmest Christmas Wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty, Zuni! I love all the elements you added in to enhance your new plates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely, Zumi! Love your new dishes too!
    I haven't done the dining room yet, but I don't remove what's in there, nowhere to put it, so I just add a little color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zuni! LOVE, love, love your china cabinet with all your wonderful natural elements & your dishes! Your pine cone candle centerpiece is perfect there along with your crystal trees & accents of red to echo the berries! I have to confess I picked up two of these ADORABLE chickadee plates when I saw them at TJ Maxx! It's hard for me to resist any dish that is bird related and they are absolutely PERFECT for Chickadee Home Nest :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful decorations. I love the display.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really, REALLY should do this too! I ahve SEVERAL sets of Christmas dishes so should change out my hutch too. Thanks for the inspiration! I ADORE your chickadee dishes!!!! I am a confessed "dishaholic", am just about oUT of storage room:):) Love how you accessorized the cabinet too. Beautiful! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I love all the added touches to make your china cabinet so festive.

    Dee

    P.S. I'm having a jewelry giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zuni, your centerpiece looks great and new! I love your china cabinet displayed with snow! Merry Christmas!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zuni,
    This is so pretty! I love pinecone centerpiece and the candle on the door. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi lovely lady. Your display in your cabinet is Gorgeous with all your Treasures. The china is so pretty with the Pinecone's you did a beautiful job putting this all together for your Christmas Holidays.
    Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my new Tablescape. Christmas in the park.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful Those plates just set the stage. I love having a couple of places too that I change out with the seasons. It is a fun way to always have a fresh look with out spending major money. Thanks for linking up yours to Motivated Monday at BeColorful.
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your china hutch looks beautiful and those Chicadee dishes I love! About 15 years ago I gave some beautiful candles to a friend. I thought she would use them as holiday decorations. So, when she promptly lit one, in my most startled voice, I said, "You're going to burn them?" She chuckled and said,"Yes, they are candles!" Since then, if I buy a candle for decoration that I will reuse it doesn't get lit. Otherwise, I chuckle merrily while they burn remembering my friend who now lives 3000 miles away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Zuni, You hutch is soooo beautiful. Boy did you score on those dishes. They are fabulous. I love all your natural touches and the pinecone candles are really great. I bet there was jewelry in that nest!
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  14. Zuni, I signed up for email for your posts. That way I can keep up with you. Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the same chickadee plate/platter! Snatched it up at Homegoods when I was there in October, and can't wait to use it. Even the cashiers were lusting over it ;-) Your display is lovely! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Zuni, I popped back over from Mary's to see this sweet chickadee dish post. They are indeed sweet dishes and so perfect for Chickadee Home Nest. ;-)
    I'm thrilled to have found your beautiful blog. Nesting is my favorite pastime. LOL ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips