Thursday, December 1, 2011

Cool Battery Christmas Lights

I was at Kroger today, hoping to find a small string of lights on a white cord to use on a wreath on our front porch.  No 30- or 50-light packages...only 100, and no white cord.

An employee working in that area asks me what I'm looking for, and nope, they don't have what I'm looking for.

I start to walk away and she says, "Have you seen these?"  No, I hadn't looked at that tiny little box hanging from one of those Mylar (?) strips.

Battery-operated, tiny LED lights--but here's the BEST part...
they have a timer built in!
(And another plus that will definitely come in handy--they can be
immersed in water!  How cool is that?!)
Yes!  I'll take them!  $5.24!  I could hardly wait till I got home from dinner at our son's and DIL's to check them out.

This picture shows how to open the battery compartment, because there are no instructions for that,
and it was NOT easy!  My husband carefully inserted a small screwdriver where we could
tell it would open, and pushed gently.
Look at that little, tiny strand and the teeny, tiny lights!
Would they be bright enough?
Would they work for the wreath?
Yes!  They ARE bright enough! (but short.  The box says it's 3 feet long,
but that must include the bare wire leading to the battery compartment and the compartment itself,
so if you buy these, plan accordingly to have enough length.)
I'll be at Kroger first thing in the morning to get more before they're sold out!

But aren't they oh, so pretty?!
 
Last week I posted a tutorial for pomanders HERE, where I inserted
battery-operated "candles" in the arrangement.  Those have to be turned on and off...
How, I wondered, would my new, nifty, tiny string of lights work
in the pomander arrangement?

PERFECTLY!!
And because they have a timer (do you think that feature is as cool as I do??)  they'll come on
in the evening and back off in six hours!
Love the timer feature!
What ideas do you have for how to use these fab lights? 
           Think they'll work in ICE?!  I'm thinking about how cool it would be to put them in a vase
              with water outside and let it freeze (the battery compartment can't be immersed). 
           Or how about just in a vase with flowers?
           Or in the china cabinet or bookcases?  The cord is virtually invisible, so versatile, they are!              
           Certainly they will be great on the wreaths on the porch, because with the timer there's no need to
                run a cord to a different timer.

I can't wait to hear your ideas on ways to use these nifty things!  Happy decorating!

(Or are you wondering if I've been living under a rock because I didn't go right out to look for these specifically?  I've seen immersible lights, but not this tiny, and certainly I wasn't thinking about how to
use them at Christmas when I saw them this past summer.)

Thanks for stopping by.  Please leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them!  They encourage me and inspire me.  And if you like what you see a lot J, maybe you’d like to +1 this post too!  Oh, and I hope you'll follow me.  I promise to work hard to make your visits worthwhile.  Thank you!

I will be joining these fun parties; please stop by to see all the great things there!
 Wow Us Wednesdays at http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/ 
 Open House Party Thursday http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com
 Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com
 Show and Tell Friday at http://romantichome.blogspot.com/
 Five Minutes Just for Me at http://5minutesjustforme.blogspot.com/
 Seasonal Sunday at http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/
 Amaze Me Monday at http://dittledattle.blogspot.com/
 Motivated Monday at http://becolorful.typepad.com/  
 Newbie Party on Monday at http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/
 Tabletop Tuesday at http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/ 
 

7 comments:

  1. That is a great idea! I have a string of battery operated lights that I bought in Gatlinburg a few years ago but I can't rememeber where I put them. They are good to use on the mantle when electrical outlets are not close or if you don't want cords shown. I need to find those lights!~Hugs, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know they made submersible lights! I just bought some battery operated tea lights today at Home Depot that have a timer. But these are even cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked out your pomanders post. I had to laugh because I just finished typing out a post on how to make them too. Probably won't post it until tomorrow morning, but thought that was a fun coincidence. We even use the same can of cloves (Krogers).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lights are so neat. I'm going to look at our Kroger to see if they have any. I bought some the other day but they have green cords. I plan to take them back if I can find these. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zuni,
    It's so funny that you posted about these lites. I ordered burlap ribbon on-line and the company messed up the order and I got a box of these lites in the mail. I called the company and they said to either keep them or throw them away. Of course I wasn't going to throw them away but had no clue what I would do with them until now! Thank you for this post and thanks for giving me tips on my blurry pictures. It was menat for me go find your blog. I'm now following you!

    Marianne:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe what the lights do to the pomander balls! That just made them pop. My friend just shoed me some remote controlled battery operated candles she got at Costco. Her daughter was running around the living room turning on the 9 remote controlled candles that come in a pack. How fun.

    I sent you an email. Hopefully it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, by the way, I am your 80th follower!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips