Monday, December 12, 2011

Gingerbread House for Little Ones

I've never made a gingerbread house, have you?  Those beautiful, elaborate ones we see in magazines and the White House require incredible decorating talent and patience and time--all in short supply around here!  But I found a GINGERBREAD HOUSE KIT that made it soooo easy, and the finished product was so cute.

Our baby granddaugher (yes, the Chickadee), is four, and I thought she would LOVE to do a gingerbread house.
I'd seen kits for around $10, but had elected to leave them.  When I found this one at Aldi for $6 or $7, I couldn't resist.
But...
I was skeptical about a kit and if it would be as easy as promised.

I wish I'd taken a picture of the contents--it was all perfect and foolproof.
A tray with a "foundation" to help keep the house square, perfect pieces for each side of the house, complete with design outlines, plenty of ready-to-use icing, and plenty of candy, all sorted in their own little packages.
A thing of beauty in and of itself.

I "built" the house and did all the outlines before she came over, because in her case,
patience is not a "birdshoe" (that's what she heard when I said "virtue," LOL!).
So it was ready for decorating.
(Note:  If you're going to do the preliminary decorating, I suggest that you leave the icicles for the very end, after applying the candy, so they don't interfere with decorating the windows and wreaths.)

We pretty much followed the suggested design, so it was also educational, because she was
looking at the box then finding the right candies to apply.

The "model" didn't have a sidewalk, though the platform for it does, so we smoothed icing on the "walkway"
and added crushed gingerbread cookies I happened to have from a dessert I'd made earlier.

Ta-dah!  Her masterpiece is complete!
Now, a tip of you're going to do this with a little one: She's four, and she was a bit more intersted in
eating the candy, but she was quite pleased with the end result.


 Aren't little hands at work {precious}?



I wish you all a very happy and blessed Christmas.  Thanks for stopping by.  Please leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them!  They encourage me and inspire me.  And if you like what you see a lot J, maybe you’d like to +1 this post too!  Thank you!

I will be joining these fun parties; please stop by to see all the great things there!

 House in Roses Show Off Your Cottage Monday at http://houseinroses.blogspot.com/
 Amaze Me Monday at http://dittledattle.blogspot.com/
 Motivated Monday at http://becolorful.typepad.com/  
 Newbie Party on Monday at http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/
 Tabletop Tuesday at http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/ 
 Wow Us Wednesdays at http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/ 
 Open House Party Thursday http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com
 Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com
 Show and Tell Friday at http://romantichome.blogspot.com/
 Five Minutes Just for Me at http://5minutesjustforme.blogspot.com

From my Chickadee Nest to yours~
    Zuni

13 comments:

  1. Zuni, your granddaughter did an amazing job. It's wonderful! I've never made one of these. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out great. Good job team. It will get quite dry and hard. Ask my son, who quite a few years ago thought it would be funny to break his up to eat by whacking it on his head.
    Almost knocked himself out cold. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! Your Grand Daughter did a pretty good job. We do have an almost identical house...hehehe...guess we could be neighbours! Wish you and your family a wonderful Holiday! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your sweet comment. :) Hope you'll be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out wonderful, love the round peppermints on top...love the placement of candies...good job...I am a new follower of yours...phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her little hands are so precious, Zuni! I'll bet you had a great time doing this with her. Love the way it turned out and I'll bet she is proudly showing it off. It's so funny what they come out with. One time when my daughter was about 3 she asked me if I was "suspecting guests" because she saw me cleaning up the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful...happy eating! And happy holidays! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Amy said, I remember her house too. I loved seeing how you both took an almost identical house, yet made them your own with decorations.

    I love the walk way on your house and it's very cute! Looks like you and your grand daugher had a great time making it.

    Thanks so much for linking up to my gingerbread party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For four years old, your granddaughter did a fabulous decorating job! I love to watch little hands at work...

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used this exact same kit last year,,,unfortunately our results were no where near as good as yours ( I think my son may have overloaded the roof with those candy swirls...oh well I guess the enjoyment is in the process as much as the end product! Thanks for showing what it should have looked like!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's my kind of gingerbread house. It turned out lovely. You should write down the "Patience is a birdshoe" to remember it for when she is older.

    Have a great christmas

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that is SO cute! My granddaughter doesn't like to do anything fun like that (she's 8 going on 18!), so I don't bother even trying to got here with her. Maybe I'll rent some grandkids for a day! :-) What a fun way to spend an afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is precious!

    Thank you for sharing the season at Potpourri Friday! May you have a Merry Christmas and the Happiest of Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips