Saturday, December 3, 2011

Real Thanksgiving Table

The tables we set for "play"--or to post--are sometimes not real tables.  The centerpiece might be too tall, or too big to allow for the other necessities that must go on the table for a real dinner--bread baskets, pitchers, wine bottle coasters, butter dishes, etc., so this is a post about our "real" table.

Our big family dinner was at my brother's this year (at their log cabin--another post for another day).  The Friday after Thanksgiving has always been our day at home--with turkey and all the trimmings again--initially for our children and my parents, and now DILs and babies too.  It's a more relaxed day, and a more relaxed table--our "real" table. 
I used the pomanders I made a few weeks earlier (tutorial HERE) as the basis for the centerpiece.
The amber platter is a recent find at my first auction.  It's an old Tiara piece.  I'd never heard
of Tiara until then, and now I'm in love with this dish.  Perfect for fall.

I L.O.V.E. this flower pot.  My cousin gave it to me years ago; I wonder if she remembers?
I use it every year for fall decorating.
Earlier in the season I had it in the china cabinet (HERE)
I imagined these twig pumpkins long before I found them, so...
THE SEARCH WAS ON!
I found them at a $$ store, where I paid $2 for them...(how does that work?!)

The PGBs (Precious GrandBabies) had their own placesettings with their Royal Doulton Bunnykins
dishes and feather headband for full Thanksgiving effect.


I used white dinner plates as chargers, and though they're not large enough
to be chargers, they added a bit more ummmppphhh to the setting.

Dinner plates are Friendly Village, and the salad plates--I don't remember.

Somewhere along the line I decided that the pumpkins I had so much wanted
were covering up the turkey plates I so love, so I moved them to the top of the plate,
'where I could enjoy both.



The view from our front door--our glorious American flag x 2.
Then...Christmas arrived at our home.

Every year my husband comes home with 2, 3, 4, 5 poinsettias, and every
year I am surprised and thrilled to see him walk in carrying the first one, then
another, then another.  This year was more of a surprise, though, because he came home
with them earlier than usual--because he also brought one for my mother
and one for our DIL to take home with them.

So fall met Christmas...
and we're ready to transition to
the joys of the season.




Tell me, do you have "real" tables that are different from you posted tables?

From our nest to yours, I wish you a sweet and smooth transition into the Christmas season.~
    ~Zuni

Miscellaneous:
Napkins: Crate and Barrel
Table runner:  My pashmina
Goblets:  Pottery Barn many years ago

Thanks for stopping by.  Please leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them!  They encourage me and inspire me.  And if you like what you see a lot J, maybe you’d like to +1 this post too!  I'd love it if you would follow me; I promise to work hard to make your visits worthwhile.  Thank you!

I will be joining these fun parties; please stop by to see all the great things there!
 Open House Party Thursday http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com
 Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com
 Show and Tell Friday at http://romantichome.blogspot.com/
 Amaze Me Monday at http://dittledattle.blogspot.com/
 Motivated Monday at http://becolorful.typepad.com/  
 Newbie Party on Monday at http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/
 Tabletop Tuesday at http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/ 

16 comments:

  1. Too funny that you were already a follower and I had just followed you yesterday - last one on, the purple kitchenaid! Your table is just gorgeous. The turkey plates are so fantastic. I agree, putting the pumpkin at the top was the perfect idea. I love the little kids plates and flatware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi lovely lady.
    Your tablescape is Gorgeous love the turkey plates you have use for the lovely dinner party on Thanksgiving. You did a beautiful job putting this all together sweet lady. I would like to thank you so much for your sweet comments on my Christmas Past Tablescape. I'm working on a table right now for [Christmas in the Park].Hope you come over on Sunday to see. I do a tablescape ever year for my Girl Friends for lunch coming back from shopping. I also hope you are having a wonderful weekend with your family.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zuni, your table is gorgeous...love the transferware plates. The little twig pumpkins are adorable.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Zuni! I usually go completely in order from number one to the last one, but when I scrolled down and saw that you had the final post, I had to skip ahead! I love the orange pomanders! I tried to make them once, and I just don't have the patience and/or strength to push those darn cloves in! They look and smell wonderful, but I just can't sit still that long! :-) That doesn't make your fingertips hurt? Mine were on fire! I figure I'll try to talk my granddaughter into doing some for me. She'll just think it's a fun project! (That's why you're a good Grandma and I'm not! You set a beautiful little Royal Doulton place setting for your grandchildren, and I trick mine into working for me!) I think the salad plates with the turkey are Royal Stafford. "Turkey - Brown" is the pattern name. The rim on them is exactly like the rim on my Royal Stafford "Herdsman", "Hayride", "Red Bull Inn" and "Blacksmith's Forge" dinner plates. In answer to your question, my "pretend" and "real" tables are all pretty much the same. Anything I post would be something I would use for real guests. Every once in awhile there is a centerpiece that would potentially block vision across the table, but there is always an element of it that can be pulled just before guests are seated so that the offending obstruction is not there but the quality of the centerpiece isn't compromised. I think you know that I like BIG centerpieces a lot of the time, so I always have to do a test run! :-) Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zuni and Alycia, no wonder you both commented on my post this week. We are sisters in tablescaping taste. I just bought the Royal Stafford Red Bull Inn salad plates at HomeGoods TODAY, and I drove all over Chicagoland to get them. I still only have six plates so I may have to try yet another store tomorrow. I love this post about real versus play tablesettings.

      Delete
  5. Your table, Thanksgiving and Christmas versions, is beautiful. It is warm, welcoming and lovely. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your thanksgivings table.. the dishes are so pretty together and those mini pumpkins,, well they are the perfect little extra.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Zuni ...came here via BNOTP... what a wonderful tablescape it is... Oh truly love your pumpkins... creativity it is simply...
    Happy if you come to see me at
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    with love from
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zuni~ what a beautiful table, both for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I love your mixture of plates. It all looks so warm and inviting.
    My daughter reminded me of a chickadee when she was a baby too. Chickadee's have always been my favorite bird and there used to be one many years ago that ate out of my hand when I lived in Maryland. What a fond and precious memory that is.
    If your brother is still interested in the table and chairs, they are still at the store and $100 cheaper. Not going to be renting my space after the end of the year, so trying to close out all the furniture that is there. After the first, it all goes over to straight commission. Looking forward to a winter season where I can hibernate, blog and just work on my own furniture.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. So gorgeous and festive. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing with the holiday copy party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Thanksgiving table is gorgeous. I have very similar dishes. Love them for our family gathering. I don't have a full set though so I combine them with my off white ones. Works perfectly. The idea of adding those cloves to the centerpiece is inspired. How great it must smell. Thanks for linking this up to Motivated Monday at BeColorful
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your table is gorgeous & I love Old Glory flying! Thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful!! Love the oranges!! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you talk about real tables and play tables. Sometimes creating a table, I feel like I'm playing house or Barbie again. And it feels GREAT. Your table is lovely, especially the mixing of china patterns. Bunnies and turkeys rock! Your husband is a gem to bring home all those pointsettias.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is best blog in blog list .I got good info by this blog .there have number of Information and good thought..
    Thanks
    And
    Regards
    Pashmina

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips