Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother’s Day, Mama Duck

We’ve had a resident duck couple around our house for about a month now, always together, waddling around as duck couples do.  But I hadn’t seen them lately, and I was getting a little worried about them.

So today, while I’m working in the yard, I hear the smallest “Quack,” and I look up immediately, wondering if it’s Mr. & Mrs. Duck.  Well……it was Mrs. Duck, WITH

                      10 WADDLING LITTLE BABIES FOLLOWING HER!

When she saw me (from afar), she quickly moved along, and the babies followed as fast as their little webbed feet could take them, but not before I could get some (blurry) pictures of them.

Little did I know the drama that was about to unfold…

 2012-05-12_Baby Ducks 7I LOVE this picture.  Doesn’t she look like a human mom, saying to her little ones, “Wait here quietly,” while she keeps an eye on me?  How many times have WE human moms said that?! :)

2012-05-12_Baby Ducks 2 Off they scurried…behind the berry cart…

2012-05-12_Baby Ducks 3                                          …through the landscaping, behind bushes…

2012-05-12_Baby Ducks 9                                                                                             …and up our hill.

As I return to my gardening, I hear a tiny “Peep…Peep…Peep.”  Did one get left behind?

I listen more closely, and to my horror, one has fallen into a water pipe in our yard! The one that I’ve called about because I was afraid a human might hurt themselves there.  I try reach him with my hand, but the pipe is only 3 inches wide and I can only get as far as the lower part of my elbow.  My husband has joined me by now, and he’s off to the garage to get a flashlight, while I run to the kitchen to get tongs—L – O – N – G tongs.  We try the tongs…no luck.  He had been trying to come up, but couldn’t quite make it…but now he’s even lower—about

                 3 feet

                              D

                                O

                                   W

                                       N

I call our neighbor, Debbie, who quickly gets another neighbor, Don, to join us.  Don used to have large birds, and he remembers he has a bird ladder, let’s see if that can help him get up!  (Can ducks climb ladders?!)  The ladder is too wide.  He goes home to cut it down.  In the meantime Debbie calls her daughter, Marissa, whom Debbie says has skinny arms.  Marissa zooms right over with her daughter Kacey.  Marissa reaches in as baby duck has started to move up the pipe, but when he squirms near her hand it startles her, and she scratches her knuckles badly as she jerks her hand up… Even injuries in our effort to save Baby Duck!

While Marissa is working in the pipe my husband and Don are trimming the ladder rungs further—with garden clippers.  We put the [half] ladder :) down the pipe, and ~

2012-05-12_Baby Ducks 16         HE MAKES IT!!  He actually used the ladder to wedge himself up!!  (Notice the high-tech half-ladder.  LOL)

2012-05-12_Baby Ducks 12 HIP, HIP, HOORAY!!  WE SAVED HIM!! ….

 

Ummm….What do we do with him now?

My husband brings out a shoe box (it occurs to me, in the midst of all the activity, how quickly he found a shoe box…and though I don’t save shoe boxes, I buy shoes often enough that there’s usually a box to be found—funny, the things that cross our minds), and Don offers to take him to the pond behind his house to see if Mama Duck is there.  We all agree that’s the best option.

Fifteen minutes later Don appears at our garage, where my husband and I are working, and he tells us this story, “I walked to the edge of the pond, but there were two (muskrats??? I don’t know what he said the animals were), and they would’ve eaten it for breakfast, so I went to the other side of the pond, put him in the water, and the _______ (whatever he said) ATE IT!!”  “No way!!  After all we did to save him?!”  He says, “Nah…they didn’t eat it.  It was the coolest thing.  I put him in the water and here comes the mama duck and all her babies, paddling as fast as they could toward it.  I wished I’d had a camera…it was perfect that it was Mother’s Day.”  HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY, MAMA DUCK!!

THE END

of a happy story

2012.5.12 Baby Duck Collage

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them! They encourage me and inspire me. And if you like what you see a lot, maybe you’d like to pin it on Pinterest too! Thank you!  I hope you will follow me. If you’ll let me know that you’re following, I’ll be sure to follow you back.

I’m going to share this happy story at the parties below.  I hope you’ll stop by and visit them!

Sunday’s Simply Klassics at http://www.simplyklassichome.com/

Sunday Blog Hop at http://www.blissfulanddomestic.com/

Sunday Showcase at http://www.bystephanielynn.com/

Sundae Scoop at http://www.iheartnaptime.net/

Show Off Your Cottage Monday at http://houseinroses.blogspot.com

Metamorphosis Monday at http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/

Monday’s Blue Monday athttp://smilingsally.blogspot.com/

Masterpiece Monday athttp://boogieboardcottage.blogspot.com/

Market Yourself Monday at http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com/

Monday Just Something I Whipped Up at http://www.thegirlcreative.com/

CraftOManiac Monday at http://craftomaniac.blogspot.com/

Too Cute Tuesday at http://funkypolkadotgiraffe.blogspot.com/

Sew Cute Tuesday at http://thecreativeitchboutique.blogspot.com/

Wow Us Wednesdays at http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/

Wednesday at Tea Rose Home at http://tearosehome.blogspot.com/

We Did It Wednesday at http://www.sew-much-ado.com/

Wednesday’s Hoo’s Got Talent at http://nightowlcrafting.blogspot.com/

Home and Garden Thursday at http://blissfulrhythm.blogspot.com/

Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com

Vintage Inspiration Friday at http://commonground-debrasvintagedesigns.blogspot.com/

Show and Tell Friday at http://romantichome.blogspot.com/

Friday Favs at http://www.naptimecrafters.com/2012/04/friday-favs-party-60.html#more

Show and Tell Saturday at http://www.bedifferentactnormal.com/2012/04/show-and-tell-saturday-042812.html

Spotlight Saturday at http://www.classyclutter.blogspot.com/

28 comments:

  1. How sweet, Zuni! A perfect story for Mother's Day. How quick thinking you were and how great that everyone helped save that little duckling. We used to have a duck couple come visit us every year. I'd usually wake up to a "quack" one morning and know they were here. They liked to swim in the rain/snow water in our pool cover! Silly ducks! Never saw any babies though, which is probably just as well, because we have a Husky and she would sit and watch them in the pool, frustrated, knowing she couldn't get to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story, I'm glad you saved that poor little duckling.
    I'm glad you had the camera close by to share them with us.
    Since I started blogging, I keep my camera in my handbag at all times.
    Wishing you a happy Mother's day.
    xoxo
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on all your rewarded efforts! We live on a lake and have seen many happy and sad things that have happened with the ducks and geese. So glad that your story had an amazing ending!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet is this family! as Kathy said, "A perfect story for Mother's Day". I'm glad that everything turned out fine in the rescue, and the little ducky is fine!

    Happy Mother's day, Zuni!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Zuni, what a touching story. I have read breathless until I knew, the little duck was saved. Whow, how amazing those little critters are. Once I tried to catch one while swimming. Have you ever seen how fast they can swim, although they have so tiny feet? They are soooo cute. I found once one which was lost. We let him swim into our bathtube. What a fun. But then we gave it to a zoo and they put him to another young duck. Our little one was sooo happy to see another duck! What a luck, the little family found together at the end.
    That was really the perfect story for a happy Mothers Day.
    Hugs and greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story, perfect for Mother's Day! So glad it had a happy ending! Nice teamwork that the neighbors joined in to help!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Happy Mother's Day!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the perfect story for Mother's Day! So glad you were able to save Baby Ducky. He's so cute. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the best Mother's Day story I've ever heard Zuni, just perfect.
    Although I nearly passed out at the part when Don said the little cutie had been eaten!
    What amazing caring people you all are and so neighbourly to all pull together for such an important mission.
    You're photos are great to capture the whole event. I can rest easy now that there's a happy ending (quack quack!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Zuni! I know it's been a while but I have not had much to blog about lately. Your duck story was so heartwarming! So nice that it had such a happy ending! I know we have talked about Ohio bloggers getting together but I for one living an hour east of Columbus(Zanesville) makes it a little harder for me to get to everything. When I come into Columbus I usually have a family reason and of course takes up most of my day. Speaking of family, we may meet sooner than you think. You see, your neighbor Don, is my brother! My sil forwarded me your blog to tell me what happened. Can you believe it?? Small world, isn't it??~Hugs, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awe... such a sweet post. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwwww... what a lucky duck to have you all there to rescue him!!! What a sweetie - so glad this turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A bird ladder?!?!?!?! Seriously?!??!?!! Now THAT'S something you don't see every day!!! What a heroic effort by all of you to save that baby! Amazing! I'm glad it all ended well!!! Cute, cute story...especially for Mother's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad this turned out well. The babies ducks are so cute.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Zuni, what an experience! I'm so glad your story had a happy ending. Just perfect for Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, what an incredibly sweet story. Thank goodness it had such a happy ending. Absolutely precious!

    I am happily following you back.

    amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your blues. I hope the mama duck takes those babies far away. You see, I've had mama and baby ducks in my yard before, and they use the whole place for their toilet. Yuk!

    Happy Blue Monday, Zuni.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi lovely lady.
    Oh how sweet love your photos.I hope you had a wonderful Mothers Day with your family this past Sunday. Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my new Nautical Tablescape.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. How cute! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  20. first visit, greetings introductions,
    This cool blog, Andah and beautiful, I love and follow # 161 #
    I am very glad if you accept and follow the re-
    please come to my blog and do not forget to follow back
    thank you
    greetings of friendship

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh such an adventure! Glad to hear your duck family was safely reunited.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is so cute! I'm glad the story had a happy ending. It's so nice to hear about everyone banding together to save the little guy. We have ducks on our patio right outside of our apartment all the time, we just love feeding all the babies right now. ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hola Zuni! Qué historia tan dulce! Such a sweet story!
    Me encantó que pasaras por mi blog. Ya empiezan mis visitas por acá...
    Me encantan los Bunnykins, tengo algunos, no se consiguen mucho y además, por lo menos acá, son tan caros!
    I love Bunnykins and have some of them, but it's not so easy to get them and they are very expensive here.
    Besos (kisses) from Argentina. Silvina.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Reminds me of the children's book, Make Way for Ducklings. Do you know it? It was a Caldecott Winner.

    How did you ever think to keep taking pictures? It makes such a great story - sort of like Disney's live action animal stories!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the sweetest post -- what a sweet little family of ducks. So glad the little guy made it and was reunited!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a sweet story!
    Muy lindo tu blog.
    Saludos desde Argentina

    ReplyDelete
  27. awww! thank you for saving the baby duck :-) that is so sweet :-) Dropping by from Blue Monday

    http://www.mommies2ks.com/2012/05/blue-print-of-my-little-girls-hand.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a sweet story! We seem to think alike...I wrote a post a few Mother's Days ago about the book "Make Way for Ducklings." I just might borrow some of your fabulous ideas for my porch too! Your newest follower! --Joann

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips