Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Nook and the Old Ladder

We have lived in this home for 7+ years. For 7+ years I’ve tried to figure out what to do with this “nook” in our master bedroom.  Here it is, as it was up until a few weeks ago:

DSCN6971 Love the teal shadow boxes, the teal and silvery lamp, the Ballard Design Eiffel Tower full of family memories.  And the Norman Rockwell has tons of sentimental value, but…not here.  I needed something with some dimension to fill the space between my MIL’s writing desk and the wall.

And, for MANY MORE than the 7+ years we’ve lived here, “we” have had an old ladder that we jammed into our car and drove several hours with it wedged between the front seats—happy memory :)  (well, for me, anyway).  And for all those years I’ve had a nagging thought about what to do with it—other than keep it in the basement with the tons of other stuff precious belongings we have stored down there, including the theatre seat I just brought up and painted with AS Duck Egg and posted here.  If you’d like to take a peak at our basement, you can see it all here

So finally, for some reason, inspiration hit me:  The nook and the ladder! 

I wanted to hang pictures from it, so first I added eye hooks, being careful to turn them with pliers in an effort [read: not always successfully] attempt to not break them…

DSCN7072 You’ll notice that the rungs aren’t flat, so nothing could be set on them, and I wasn’t about to try my hand at cutting flat boards and attaching them….no sireee…tooooo much trouble!

I attached the hooks at the top and bottom of each rung, planning to attach each picture at the top and bottom, with twine.  No go.  They didn’t hang right; they were angled back.

Now what?!  I was bound and determined to:

  1. Fill the nook;
  2. Use the ladder.

And this is what the Mother of Invention came up with:

DSCN7223 For the first time in 7+ years (are you getting the drift here…it was SEVEN-PLUS years of frustration!!), I am finally happy with the odd nook (well, except that I’m not completely sold on the two pictures on the right wall being there). 

The ladder now “frames” four pictures of our favorite subjects—our baby chickadees!

DSCN7221 To add a bit of of depth, and texture, (okay, and to use the hooks I’d taken the time to put in), I still used twine to tie sloppy, casual bows.

DSCN7222

DSCN7219

But I’m still wondering about one thing:  Now that I’ve painted the theatre seat in Annie Sloan Duck Egg…yes, you know where I’m headed…I’m wondering if a bit of that would look good on the ladder too.  I already have that color going there, so I’m just not sure.  What do you think?  Yes?  No?  Emphatic YES?  Emphatic NO?

************

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you’ll leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them! And if you like what you see a lot, maybe you’d like to Google +1 this post or pin it on Pinterest too! Thank you!

I invite you to follow me. If you’ll let me know that you’re following, I’ll be sure to follow you back.

Sundays at The Tablescaper: http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/

Mop it Up Monday at http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com

Metamorphosis Monday at  http://betweennapsontheporch.net/

Tuesdays at http://www.astrollthrulife.net/

Tuesdays at http://hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com

Wednesdays at Wow Us: http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/

Wednesdays at http://diybydesign.blogspot.com/

Thursdays at Home Sweet Home: http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

Thursdays at No Minimalist Here: http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com/

Transformation Thursdays at http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/

Be Inspired Friday at http://www.Commonground-do.com/

Fridays at Feathered Nest: http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/

Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com

From my nest to yours, ~Zuni

15 comments:

  1. Love the new arrangement and the ladder. I think the natural finish stands out nicely against your wall.
    Happy Mother's Day, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your ladder. What a creative way to use it! I, too, have a vintage ladder in storage in my garage. I got it at Goodwill for $5. I didn't need it but it was too good to pass up! I am still looking for the perfect place to use it! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zuni - you have done a great job! The ladder placement fwas brilliant and what a special place to show off your beloved family!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zuni - meant "was" brilliant - missed the typo - sorry!!

      Delete
  4. What a cute idea, Zuni! I love how it frames out the pictures. I wouldn't paint it. I think it looks nice in its natural state.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee, Zuni...I don't know. I like the ladder in its natural state, but I also think it would look good painted. I think maybe keep it as is...I think. But some more of that paint needs to go somewhere in that corner....I'm just not sure where exactly. Maybe a 3rd item on the right with the 2 photos of the baby. Something geometrically complex, maybe. Somehow the black of all the frames and the Duck Egg color need to be tied together. That's my 2 cents! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a fabulous idea. I love the addition of the ladder and the pictures tied on are so creative. Great job, it looks amazing. Thanks also for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! Love the ladder! I don't think I'd paint it though, I'm sort of liking the contrast. Super cute idea, so glad you shared it!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great look with the ladder, and I would definitely use the blue on it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now your corner is complete- all filled,in with the ladder! Now,it's no,loner bare - glad you left it in its natural finish. Lots of great texture! Give me a shout if you're gonna be in S'field on Friday.
    :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this was a BRILLIANT solution to your dillemma, Zuni...well done!

    I also LOVE the new duck blue color on your chairs....they look fantastic & YES, you should do whatever makes YOU happy. I would add a coat of wax to the backs of them especially, since they may get wet when it rains being so near the screens. Great idea for extra seating!

    Hope you had a Wonderful Mothers Day!

    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking up at Assets and Efforts on HickoryTrail

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the ladder, it filled up the space perfectly! I love it the way it is, but girlfriend...It's your ladder lol! Thank you for your very nice comments on my sons graduation!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, it's been two months since you asked for everyone's "two cents," but the interior designer in me still wants to reply. LOL For what it's worth... Paint that fabulous, perfect-for-the-nook ladder? Emphatic NO! Switching the lamp and the Eiffel Tower will better balance the colors, and you won't have to add another thing. (May have to shift the right side pics a bit, but that's all. So glad you finally found a place for that ol' ladder to shine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ladder is adorable. I am hopping over The Charm of Home and I'm a new follower. I can't wait to have a look around.
    Katie
    Let's Add Sprinkles

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips