Thursday, November 10, 2011

Chocolate/Peanut Butter Chex Party Mix

Our baby granddaughter, Ava, turned 4 on Saturday.  To celebrate (and help Mom out), I offered to make a Chex Mix for her kiddie party.  I saw Mary's recipe for a Halloween version of Chex Party Mix HERE, and that started me thinking...

But first things first.  I'm her grandmama, so I HAVE to  share a picture of the party girl first.

Now do you understand why we're crazy nuts in love with her?  :)


Okay, on to the recipe...

So while at the store I decided that chocolate and peanut butter would be yummy, so I ended up making my own recipe based on Mary's as a guide, and it was a hit!

Ingredients:

6 cups Rice Chex cereal
1 cup Toll House/Nestle dark chocolate morsels
1 cup Reese's peanut butter chips
1 cup Reese's Pieces
(You could use M&Ms in the "right" color for the given holiday, but Reese's was perfect for a fall party.)
1 can mixed nuts
2 cups mini pretzels, broken in half

  • Line 2 cookie sheets with foil or wax paper
  • In a bowl large enough to hold 3 cups of the Rice Chex melt the chocolate morsels in the microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes on High.
  • Stir the chocolate to make sure it's completely melted.  Microwave in 15-second increments if it's not.
  • Add 3 cups of the Rice Chex to the melted chocolate, and mix carefully, using a spatula until the cereal is well covered.
  • Spread chocolate-covered cereal in a single layer on one of the cookie sheets, and refrigerate for at least 5 minutes, or until well set.





  • Follow the same steps with the peanut butter chips, using the remaining 3 cups of Rice Chex.




It was cold enough out that I was able to set them out on the screened porch, instead of
shuffling things around the refrigerator.

  • When the chocolate and peanut butter are well chilled, break them up into bite-size pieces into a large bowl.
  • Add the Reese's pieces, nuts, and pretzels to taste.  Mix well.
  • Serve or store in airtight container.


¡Buen provecho! (that's bon appétit in Spanish, which is what we say at our house before every meal.) 

Tell me, do you follow recipes to the letter, or do you use them as a guide and let your imagination (or what’s in your pantry) run free?

Thanks for stopping by.  Please leave me a comment to let me know you were here—I read every single one of them, and they encourage and inspire me.  And if you like what you see a lot J, maybe you’d like to +1 this post too!  Thank you!

I’m joining the following parties; please visit them.

5 comments:

  1. We have made tons of Chex Mix in our house, but never with chocolate! YUM! Ava is adorable and bonne anniversaire!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know I have read about these party mixes for years, and never been brave enough to try it. It looks so good, I love peanut butter and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has all my favorite things in it! I love variations of Chex Mix. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got the idea to for making a good food on today 's breakfast. A healthy, hygienic, yummy and too delicious dish you shared. Cooking is hobby and enjoy to make new foods.
    gifts for boys

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Its yummy Chocolate/Peanut Butter Chex Party Mix. I like this because cooking is my hobby. So Thank you for delicious recipe. I try to make this awesome recipe.

    printed giveaways

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips