Saturday, September 3, 2011

Hydrangeas and Pumpkins

Friday, September 2, 2011

Labor Day weekend is upon us, and here in Ohio the leaves are starting to change ever so slightly.  I'm always sad to see my favorite season come to an end, but invariably I fall in love with fall, year after year.  This table setting is from a a few years ago, before I dreamed of a blog.  It's from an intimate dinner party my husband and I hosted to celebrate my cousin's engagement and to welcome his beautiful bride-to-be into our family.

The china is my wedding china--Lenox Eternal--which I still love after all these years, because it mixes and matches with so many other patterns.  The crystal is Pristine, by Reizart, which was bought by Gorham shortly after I registered it for my wedding.  The bridal consultant advised me to change it, but I was--and still am--in love with it.  It was produced from 1969 to 1974.  Its fine cuts and crystal make it super-special--and super-fragile--but well worth the tender care it requires.

And the pumpkins? :)  I've done this several times--real pumpkins to serve squash soup.  Early the morning of our party I went to a pumpkin "patch" at a local church and scouted around (with the help of the gentleman manning the "patch," who said he'd never heard of using pumpkins for soup) until I found perfect, similar ones.


Gorham Pristine, Lenox Eternal
Dusk is upon us.  Another view of the full table, with a hint of the hydrangeas, used as simple centerpieces and as accents with the hors d'oeuvres.


A close-up of the pumpkin...see the little tendril?  I made sure they all had them, to add a bit of "sweet" to their earthiness.  I like the contrast of the fine bone china, crystal, and hydrangeas with the pumpkins.  Maybe some day soon I'll do a post on how to prepare the pumpkins, and share the squash soup recipe.  Linen napkins from Pottery Barn.  The "placemats" are also linen napkins from PB, and the flatware is by Oneida, pattern unknown.

Squash soup in pumpkin bowl
  Sweet little pumpkin.


This picture isn't very clear, but no engagement celebration would be complete without champagne to toast the happy couple and wish them health, wealth, happiness, and continued love for a lifetime.  Napkins are vintage, given to me by my mother-in-law from her own collection from when they lived in Mexico.  The marble lazy Susan is from TJ Maxx, many years ago.  The champagne bucket and the sterling compote are gifts from my mother many years ago.


This first post is dedicated to Susan, at Between Naps on the Porch, and Bill, at Affordable Accroutements, who have generously given me much of their time to help me get started.

I'm joining:
 Marty's Table Top Tuesday:  http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/
 The Tablescaper's Seasonal Sunday: http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/
 Kim's Wow Us Wednesdays: http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/

Please be sure to visit their blogs too, and to leave a comment.

All images, unless otherwise indicated, are the property of the blogger and are copyrighted. Please do not use without permission. Thank you.

12 comments:

  1. Zuni, Welcome to Blogland! You'll have so much fun and will meet so many awesome Dearhearts! Your table setting is so beautiful! I don't like to see summer end but your tablescape makes me feel much better...makes me eager for Fall. I love your crystal and you are so clever serving the soup in the small pumpkins. Love the attention to detail...choosing just the right pumpkins. I so identify with that! :)
    P.S. Thanks for those kind words...you're off to a wonderful start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zuni,

    How fortunate that you photographed your beautifully-set table in a variety of lighting conditions! It's as if you had a premonition that you'd share them someday. And now you have!

    Congratulations on the launch of your new blog. I know you're going to do well.

    Lenox Eternal is such a pure, elegant, classic pattern. I don't think you could have made a better choice. I love the way you've paired it with earthy, warm, organic elements on this table and captured the feeling of autumn.

    I focused on how the colors of your table linens and the pumpkins blended so nicely with the fabric on your chairs. It all looks festive, has a relaxed elegance, and is truly inviting!

    Thank you for the kind mention. I look forward to your future posts. I hope you will do a tutorial on the pumpkin "bowls" and the soup.

    Warmest regards,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful too! I wish I had photographed all the tables I did before I was a blogger! You were very smart.
    I have some Lenox Eternal, and my good Cmas china is Eternal Christmas. It is discontinued now, but I love it.
    So nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zuni...

    Ohhh my...your table is FABULOUS, my friend! I really do love your Lenox china and the pretty pumpkins look sooo beautiful at each place setting! I love the little "tendrils" on the stems too! Oh yes, please do share with us...how you prepare your pumpkins and your squash soup recipe! I'm very interested! Well my friend, your table is just scrumtious! Your china and crystal stems just sparkle! Thank you so much for sharing this gorgeous table with us for the Sunday Favorites party! It's such a pleasure having you join in with the fun! Hope you'll join us again!

    I also just wanted to mention how lovely your dining room is! It's beautiful! I have just added your delightful blog to my list of blog follows! Can't wait to go back through some of your past posts and get to know you! So very nice to meet you, dear lady!

    Have a super, sweet Sunday!
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tablescape is beautiful! I just acquired this year a large set of Lenox Eternal china off craigslist. It is such a classic, timeless pattern. Also love your crystal and silver.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to Blogging. I am your newest follower by email.I am also a new blogger and wow there is a lot to learn. I love your elegant simple style on this tablescape. It is how I like to set my table, not too crowded with objects but what is chosen is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi lovely lady.
    Your Tablescape is Beautiful with your Lenox Eternal china, By adding the Pumpkin soup bowls this made your Tablescape just pop of fall. You did a lovely job putting this all together sweet lady. Im your newest follower. I hope you can come join my Tablescapes.
    Have a great day.. XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great fall table. I am still holding onto summer but when I do realize it is time for fall I might be using the pumpkin idea. So cute. Welcome to blogging I have been blogging with my mother for less than a year and we love it. Enjoy.

    http://www.the2seasons.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, your tablescape is gorgeous. I love the beautiful autumn colors and all of your dishes and accessory pieces are perfect. Such a warm and inviting table. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just smashing! I LOVE the pumpings for bowls! Leaving the tendrils on was brilliant, just that perfect touch that some would let slide by.....

    I have to know the recipe for the soup that you put in the bowls PLEASE!!!

    ~~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to blogging! What a lovely tablescape you put together. And the pumpkins are GENIUS!

    I'm your newest follower. Make sure you get out to other blogs and introduce yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful table! Love the pumpkin bowls! What a fantasticly festive idea! Thanks for sharing and linking up to my Before Blogging Throwback Thursdays party.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips