Thursday, September 15, 2011

Tea for Cookie

I am blessed to have a long-time friend who moved away many years ago, and we have maintained our lovely friendship the old-fashioned way--through letters.  Her letters are so special, that when one arrives my husband sets it on top of all the mail, so I'll see it first.  Sometimes I don't read it right away...I save it for when I have time to enjoy our visit.  Often we don't respond to each other's letters right away--for me, part of my enjoyment is thinking about what I will write next.

In August she was in town, and we were able to visit!  The logical choice--come to our home for tea.  A restaurant would've been far too impersonal for this sweet friendship and rare visit.

Our Tea Party ~

We enjoyed our tea in the great room, where we could sit comfortably.  Dessert plates are Depression glass, Heritage pattern, by Federal (a gift from my mother), and the precious Depression glass tea cups, from my mother-in-law, are Cherry Blossom, by Jeannette Glass.  Pitcher is Waterford Lismore.


The iced tea goblets are Godinger/Shannon, Sutton Place pattern.
The silver flatware is Oneida King James.

OUR MENU
Mini croissant cucumber, cream cheese and chives tea sandwiches
Blueberries in silver Revere bowl
Chocolate chip mini muffins
G'Day Melaleuca Herbal Tea




The creamer (Fostoria, "American" pattern) (and the matching sugar bowl) as well as
the beautiful sugar spoon (1847 Rogers Bros., "Columbia") were a hostess gift
from my sister-in-law when I hosted her daughter-in-law-to-be's bridal shower.
I bought the sweet little violet plate (Victoria Carlsbad, Austria) at this year's
Decorator's Show House gift shop.






I bought this precious miniature cake plate as a gift...
but found I couldn't part with it.

The linens are vintage, collected over many years.




Flowers from our garden.
So tell me...do you still write letters?  If you do, whom do you write?  Do you save the letters you receive?  What stationery do you use?

Thanks for stopping by.  I love your comments, so please stop by and let me know you visisted me.

I will be linking to:
 Susan's Tablescape Thursday at http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/
 Courtneys, Feathered Nest Friday at http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/
 Honey's Potpourri Friday at http://twenty-eight-0-five.blogspot.com/
 Inspiration Friday at http://www.atthepicketfence.com/
 Marty's Table Top Tuesday at http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/ 
 Kim's Wow Us Wednesdays at http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/  
 The Tablescaper's Seasonal Sunday at http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/
 Trisha at Sweetology: http://sweetology101.blogspot.com/
Be sure to visit their fabulous parties!

18 comments:

  1. You set a lovely tea for your friend-I am sure you enjoyed a lovely visit. I love your pretty dishes .
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful table for tea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect setting for a perfect event!!! I'm sure you had a wonderful time and that your friend enjoyed your lovely table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how nice this was. I know you and your friend had a wonderful time visiting and having tea over this lovely setting. Thank you for stopping by and seeing Mary Carol's table. I'll be sharing more photos in the next day or two... hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so sweet, Zumi. I can't remember the last time I wrote a letter, not a note but a pages long letter!
    Your tea looks lovely and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning table! Love everything here. The hues of soft pink is so beautiful. Very inviting setting.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your topper is a stunning piece of workmanship. I love the beautiful things you've pulled out for tea. So elegant and royal.That sweet violet plate would have come home with me too.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  8. You table is stunning and a total delight! The crochet piece is a lovely backdrop for your treasures.

    I am so happy you joined Potpourri Friday and look forward to seeing you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Zuni! I am SO slow getting around to everyone's post this week!!! It has been busy at home, and now we're oul of town and I'm having to use my husband's TURTLE SLOW and crazy laptop! You created a beautiful tea table for your friend! Everything is so pretty and inviting. The sandwiches look great! Now I'm craving a croissant! I hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful way to celebrate a special day. I love to take tea and you sure did put out a tea. I have a few friend that I write to, but I must admit, they write more than I do. I need to work on that.
    Hugs,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  11. How elegant, Zuni!!! You & I have similar depression glass collections. ~~BIG smile~~

    Your G'Day Melaleuca Herbal Tea sounds interesting...I've never had that & will look for some around here. Any hint as to where I might find it?

    GORGEOUS creamer & sugar bowl, but I'm really coveting that beautiful "Columbia" sugar spoon.
    You have lots of PRETTIES!!!

    I only hand write 'thank you' notes & sign birthday cards these days. Sad.

    Thanks for the kick in the pants to write more.

    Hugs,
    Rett

    p.s. I forgot to say how luscious your foods look, too. ~~BIGGER smile~~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to have you as a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    How wonderful to have such a special friend. She must have felt very welcomed to sit at your table and enjoy your beautiful tea.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awesome.. I LOVE IT…Found ya on hop and officially following ya with smiles..Hope you get a sec to stop in & say hello..:)) I have a fall inspired blog party going on and would LOVE for you to link this awesome piece to it today ) TY http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/09/fall-crawl-day-5-blog-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gracious setting...I am sure she felt loved and cherished by you. Pretty table! Yes, I write letters to a friend I have in another state. We always have so much to share that we both use common school lined paper :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love glass! I'm going to your house for tea. Everything is so lovely and the food looks yummy, too! I'm sure your friend enjoyed the day. Happy Tea Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Cherry Blossom is such a beautiful pattern! I love the delicate pink color.
    What a special visit with your friend. Your tea setting is lovely and I am sure you had a good time. I love to receive real letters in the mail, and try to send ones out to friends from time to time. I cherish the letters I have from my grandmother before she passed away. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful post,loved it!!! I love the way to wait to open your treasured letter..till everything is perfect.
    I love those pink glass tea cup so pretty...depression glass you called it? The menu looks scrumptious... cumber sandwiches...mmm!
    I don't write so much any more... I would use my pretties paper.
    I miss that kind of connection...I think that's maybe part of the reason I love to blog???
    I find your follow button so I can come back and read more....
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous teatime display .. and I love the pink depression cups and saucers..Everything look amazing and welcoming..I'm glad that I stopped over for a friendly chat ... Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips