Sunday, September 4, 2011

Summer's End, Blue & Yellow

Hi, all, and a special hello to Susan.  I'm new to blogging (as some of you will be able to tell when you see a few glitches I can't seem to fix), but I'm sooo excited to do my first-ever link!  I'll be linking to Susan's Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch!   What a fun day it was when I stumbled into her blog!  Thanks for your help, Susan!



Labor Day weekend...most table settings are of red, white, and blue, and that's where I was headed.  (But I have to admit, I don't "get" why it's RWB...it's not a patriotic holiday; it's a day to celebrate work and our ability and freedome to work!)  So back to the original idea--I knew I wanted to use my blue and white Spode dishes, but somehow the red just wasn't coming.  I found myself shifting gears and wanting a more sedate setting, to represent a day of rest and to recognize summer's official end--her last hurrah.

I LOVE blue and white and had wanted blue and white dishes, but I wanted florals.  About 10 years ago, I was the chairwoman for our church's Mother-Daughter Tea, where we could host and decorate our tables, and lo and behold, I'm at Macy's and find THE blue and white dishes!  I don't remember how I explained the "need" for more dishes to my husband :)   I bet there aren't many women who use the church tea as an excuse to buy yet another set of dishes. :)
The salad/dessert plates are The Blue Collection, and the dinner plates are Delamere. 


 Hydrangeas, another favorite, from our garden.  The miniature tureen is a gift from my mother many years ago--isn't it precious?  It has its own matching ladle.  The seeded glass candle holders are something I'd wanted for a long time.  They were a Christmas present from my husband a couple of years ago, from a nice shop, The Morgan House, in Dublin, Ohio.

 The napkins are from TJ Maxx, years ago...well before I got the dishes.

 One of my recent finds--Spode Imperial Garden salt & pepper shakers--were a GREAT buy:  $6 at the Powell Antique Mall near our home.  Just what I needed to complement my blue and white, because, if you look carefully, they have just a touch of yellow.  Perfect.
  
 The picture of the sunflower?  From our garden, and there is a real, honest-to-goodness bee visiting it!  Perfect timing.



 Yesterday's thrifting outing netted this precious silverplate tray from GW.  It was pretty tarnished, and I didn't notice a spot that was a bit rough...oh, oh.  But I used a fabulous cleaner that is NOT TOXIC, and poof!  It's gone!



I cut the hydrangeas several weeks ago, and they get prettier as they dry.


I love the scroll handle on top.




 
Can you see Mrs. Bee now?  This sunflower must've come from bird seed we had in another part of the yard...isn't Mother Nature amazing?!






That's it for my first link to any blog!  I'll be joining Susan of Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday, so I'll be looking for all of you to enjoy your art!

24 comments:

  1. Beautifully done, Zuni! Blue and white seems to be everyone's favorite color combination. When the maker is Spode, you know you're setting tables for friends and family with dishes that have delighted generations! The napkins are perfect. I love the candlelit images!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so lovely! I love the color combination, and the dishes are just beautiful!
    Welcome to TTH, and many more tables! I will be anxious to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zuni, Welcome to blogworld and Tablescape Thursday! We have so much fun, and you're going to love the adventure. Blue, white, and yellow is my favorite color combination, so you've hit a grand slam as far as I'm concerned...and I adore Spode. Delamere is on my 'someday' list, although I've always thought that I would collect the brown. You've created such a beautiful tablescape. Thank you for sharing your lovely design. Come visit any time. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job here. That sunflower is beautiful and adds the extra touch of yellow to the table. I really like those plates, an unusual shape. Nice to meet you Zuni.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I love your floral blue and white china and am very envious of that salt and pepper set!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Zuni- Welcome aboard! Love your dishes, those were a great purchase- and what a nice pick up finding the salt and pepper shakers- I really like them a lot! The tureen is very sweet, and I love especially love the shape of the handle on top! I don't know why we do the red white and blue on Labor Day either. My hydrangeas are starting to change and get that papery look...they are always fun to bring indoors! Nice to meet you- enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Zuni, I'm bj from Sweet Nothings and Bill invited me over to see your beautiful table.
    It is, indeed, just beautiful. I am loving the blue and white...such a classic look.
    Your evening shots are amazing...really good job.

    Welcome to blogging. I know you will just love it.
    Come by to see me when you can.
    I am going to follow you.:)
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, when you get a FOLLOW ME, I will follow you. :))
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Zuni,
    welcome in blogland. I haven't an idea before I blogged, what blogging is. But once started, I love blogging and all the creative minds around the world, which I met when blogging. Your tablesetting is really outstanding and so are your dishes. I love your Spode china for the color and the oustanding shapes. And the salt & pepper set is hilarious. The whole setting is very charming. With your loves and skills you will have many fun in blogland. There are more wonderful blogparties like Susans Tablescape Thursday. You can link also with tea settings for "Teatime Tuesday" and for "Tea in the Garden on Saturday". You find the linksparties in my blogposts or on my sidebar.
    Wish you a lot of fun and Happy Tablescaping.
    Best greetings, Johanna from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Zuni. Welcome!I remember when I did my first linky party. It was Susan's. She has helped many people get their feet wet.
    I love your table and I especially love the blue and yellow. You spode is beautiful. The little salt and pepper shakers are the greatest.
    Tell us the name of the silver cleaner. We are always looking for a miracle cleaner.
    You did a fantastic job. I look forward to more beautiful tables.
    I am follower # 3. Come by and visit me.
    Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you've joined the Tablescaping Tribe, Zuni! You definitely achieved your goal of a lovely, relaxing table to celebrate the last breath of summer. The soothing colors and wonderful textures work well together! I love the drying hydrangeas in the hurricanes -- simple, but lovely and different. Your blue and white dishes are also fun to see -- a bit unusual, as you noted, with the floral pattern. Hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Zuni!!

    ~~Rettabug here, waving at you from Northeast Ohio~~

    What a wonderful, first entry into the fabulous world of blogging & tablescaping! Beautifully decorated table...love all your pretty blues & that tureen is very special.
    Your centerpieces with the hydrangeas are really pretty, too.

    I'm happy to have met you & hope we get to gather together someday with the other Ohio Bloggers, like Sue from Sullivan & Murphy & La from Amusing Potpourri. You're located closer to them than I am.

    Warm, Welcoming Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your first table! It's beautiful but then I'm a fan of blue and white!!! And I love your plates!!!! And those salt and peppers are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on sharing your first table.. it's a beauty! I love your blue spode.. i say any reason is okay to justify new dishes.. The salt and peppers are so perfect with the dishes. I also love the photo on the table.. what a wonderful way to create conversation. I do love the candleholders filled with hydrangeas.. very clever.. great table.. and welcome to the fold! xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great tablescape! I love the china ... and the elements of the centerpiece are great! You've done something with those big candle holders that I hadn't thought of. You'll fit in with this bunch of tablescapers really well! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your tablescape is totally stunning. Love the blue and white with the touch of yellow. The candle hurricanes are fabulous with the hydrangeas. Such a great idea. Beautiful pictures also. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely tablescape, love the blue, tans and white, and the texture of the placemats, and the pretty napkins, they were perfect. That soup tureen is fabulous, and love the asparagus salt and pepper shakers?? I think they are!
    Very nicely done, very cozy, warm and beautiful.
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Also meant to say I loved the touch of the pears in the dessert dishes, and all your pics were lovely.

    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Zuni!!!!!!! Hello!!!!!!! Welcome!!!!!!! It is always SO good to see new tablescapers on board! Welcome to the world we all know and love so much! Fabulous first outing! Blue & white is a fabulous color combo that both relaxes and energizes. (Kind of the way a hot shower does. It can wake you up OR help you sleep better...whichever you're looking to achieve!) I love the photo of the sunflower with the actual bee on it!!! Great touch! Never, ever, ever, ever, ever feel the need to explain to your husband why you "need" more dishes. It only complicates matters, and he ain't gonna get it anyway! :-) My husband quit asking about 30 sets ago! He's just happy I don't drag him with me to shop!!! Do you remember the name of the cleaner that got the rough spot out of your tray? I have an old silver teapot that I would like to buff out. Please let me know if you can. I'm over at Table Twenty-One. This is exciting! Congratulations and best wishes as you get on board the Crazy Train with the rest of us! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the pretty blue dishes and the salt and pepper shakers, so sweet. Thanks for sharing, Laura Cottage and Broome

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful table, Zuni...those dishes are gorgeous! Love the shape of the little tureen. Hydrangeas are my favorite flowers...thanks for using them in your first tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Zuni...

    I'm just enjoying my visit to your sweet blog, my friend! Wanted to leave you a note on this beautiful blue and yellow tablescape!

    Love, love, LOVE your blue and white dishes! Ohhh...I do believe that I would have had to buy them as well...they really are beautiful and they set a gorgeous table! I also love the white tureen! I have a "thing" for white tureens and would love to start a collection...just not sure where I would put them all! Hehe! I'm sooo envious of your hydrangeas...they're sooo pretty! I would love to try my hand at growing them but not sure how they would do here in Colorado. They look lovely in your beautiful glass candleholder vases!

    Everything is gorgeous, my friend! Thank you for sharing your pretty table with us!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your tablescape is so beautifully done in the blue with pears. It's so inviting.

    I am delighted to be following you and hope you will bring one of your beautiful tablescapes to Potpourri Friday! Linkup starts Thursday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Zuny...

    I'm so glad that you decided to share your beautiful table with us for the Sunday Favorites party, my friend! Thank you for joining in!

    So sorry that I'm so late getting by for a visit. I hope that you're having a wonderful week, dear lady!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips